A quiet day in Saumur

Trip Start May 23, 2013
Trip End Jun 28, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of France  , Pays de la Loire,
Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Up later this morning as Col decided to have a rest day. So a leisurely breakfast at the hotel before deciding to call Carl on FaceTime. What amazing technology this is. He was on the ferry on the way home from work so we waited in the room until he got home and then made contact. Little bit of time delay in the conversation but still great to talk to you Carl. He has asked for some 'action' shots of the riders in their Eurobug gear so Col will have try to get some tomorrow.
We then set off about 11am for the Tourist Information Centre and started a self-guided walk around the town. Had to have 11's first at a cafe on the waterfront. No pastries this morning just a short black (expresso) for Col and a Noisette for me. It's a short back with a dash of milk. Have given up on asking for a cappuccino and cafe au lait sometimes has too much milk in it. So the Noisette is the answer.
The walk took us along the river front past historic buildings and the up the top of the hill to Chateau Saumur. Arrived about 12.30 only to find it closed between 1 and 2 (as most things do in France or even longer!) so unless we wanted to 'run' through the Chateau we would have to come back later. Having just walked up the hill we chose not to return later! So down the hill we walked past more historic homes into the picturesque square with large trees in the centre and cafes around the edge. We chose to have lunch here and for a change from the baguettes we have been having along the rides, I had a salad and Col a gallette (savoury pancake made with buckwheat flour). Also had a beer as it was quite warm and we had just walked up and down the hill!!
We then left the walk and wandered back to the hotel through streets we hadn't been along before, for a 'little siesta'. Then we walked to the railway station to see how far it would be on Friday when we leave and whether we could drags the bags! Don't think so - will have to be a bus or taxi. We then ended up in the same little square for 'beer o'clock' and I had my first 'bubbles' since leaving Oz. It was a local one and delightful!
Back to the hotel for last 6pm briefing, then showers and change of clothes and out to dinner. I could get used to this routine! Tonight Pam and John joined us for dinner and we went back to the little square for pre-dinner drinks (another bubbles) and then to a restaurant nearby. Another lovely meal with great company and conversation.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: