Finally leaving Wellington!

Trip Start Mar 03, 2005
Trip End Mar 31, 2006

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of New Zealand  ,
Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Well, after 5 months I am finally leaving Wellington! I was booked on the ferry at 8.45am this morning, with the final check in time for the ferry at 8.15am. Anyway, the night before I had decided to have a few beers to say goodbye to people, but like always one drink turned into one drink too many.... Anyway, think I finally got to bed about 5am. I had set my alarm for 7.30am thinking that this would give me enough time to get a shower, eat breakfast, decide what food to take with me, make some lunch, finish packing and catch a taxi to the ferry terminal... That was my drunken logic! Lee woke me up at about 7.20 shouting "we're gonna miss the ferry!!!" I think I was still a little drunk then, as I looked at the time on my phone and decided that I still had a few minutes left before I needed to get up, so I just rolled over and closed my eyes!
After a frantic rushing around getting a shower and then ramming the rest of my stuff into my backpack, me and Lee realised that the guy who was meant to be giving us a lift to the terminal was still in the shower, and it was 7.55! So eventually he surfaced, and we thought that meant he was ready to go.... But no, he decided that he would just go and have a leisurely cup of coffee and sit down in the kitchen for a while..... Anyway, we eventually left the hostel, and arrived at the ferry terminal at about 8.20 only to be told we had gone to the wrong terminal and therefore wouldn't make it in time to catch the ferry!!! Argh!!!!!! The nice lady at the check in let us change our tickets and we were now booked on the 2pm crossing, which meant a wait around for 5 and a bit hours.... Hmmm. I took this as a chance to sober up a bit so that I would enjoy the ferry crossing more.
It was so strange on the ferry seeing Wellington get further and further away, I really did feel as though I was leaving home, and quite sad too. The crossing was quite picturesque when the ferry was navigating through the Marlborough sounds, but I was a little too tired to fully appreciate it. After about 3hours, the ferry arrived in Picton - such a small place! It felt absolutely tiny after Wellington. On our walk to the hostel, there was even shrubs blowing around like tumbleweed! The hostel we stayed at gave us free apple crumble and hokey pokey ice cream in the evening which was really tasty. I went to bed really early after that as the excesses of the last fortnight had finally caught up on me!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: