Two Months on!

Trip Start Nov 06, 2010
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
At Anchor

Flag of Bahamas  , Exuma,
Thursday, January 6, 2011

On Tuesday night, we discussed our plans. Our friend Pete Ver Ploeg is sailing on his boat, The Strolla, with three friends (  We've been a few weeks behind all along, but they have recently stopped in the Dominican Republic and have been enjoying themselves immensely it sounds.  As they have, for the time being, slowed a bit, we decided that if there was ever a time to catch up, this was it. We just had a really nice, relaxing week exploring the Exumas, celebrating the New Year, and taking it easy only traveling ten or so miles, if we moved at all.  Now, we're going to do what we can to make the necessary miles to catch up for some fun with these guys. We'll see if the weather cooperates.

We got underway yesterday morning as soon as it was light enough.  It was slightly humid but clear with a nice breeze and a beautiful sunrise.  We motored out of Galliot Cay Cut from the Exuma Bank to the Exuma Sound and set the main as we turned down the coast.  While there was a nice breeze, it was unfortunately coming from the southeast, the direction we were traveling.  We were able to motor sail for the majority of the day until the wind was just too on the nose and the main was only luffing.  It was a bummer that we weren't able to sail, but seeing as we needed to get to George Town in good light, going less than 5 knots was not ideal.  Either way, it was a pretty relaxing and uneventful trip, with one visit from a rather large pod of dolphins, most of which seemed to be babies because they were TINY. I loved it.

Caleb steered us into the entrance to George Town.  The channel in is basically a zigzag, avoiding various sandbars, but, other than the reef right at the entrance, we didn't see anything to cause concern.  We motored into the section of the harbor immediately adjacent to town, passing tons of boats on our way in.  George Town is what many cruisers treat as the last stop, reaching here and staying for weeks or even months.  Apparently during the March regatta, there will be hundreds more in the harbor. While I'm sure it's a sight to be seen, I think it would be a bit overwhelming.

We managed to drop anchor right at the front of the harbor, just a minute dinghy ride to the public dinghy dock.  We saw a boat that was off to the side as we came in, and once we had dropped anchor we realized that they had actually dragged their anchor - looks like we'd snagged their spot!  Our anchor is buried and holding well - we've checked.  Once we were situated last night, we went in to shore.  I love how the descriptions of towns down here talk of how populated they are in relation to Nassau, which I didn't find to feel all that big.  George Town is the second biggest after Nassau - it's precious.  We had a nice dinner at a cute little cafe, conch fritters and conch burgers, which were delicious, plus some free wifi, which is always nice.  We went back out to the boat and called it an early night.

Today, we have been on the go.  Pete and Caleb have been working on boat projects all day. Caleb attached a piece of hose to our anchor line to serve as chafe gear before doing some polishing work throughout the boat. Pepe broke earlier this week, so Pete has nursed him back to health - he looks spiffy.  We've also been doing some restocking, the boys in charge of diesel, gasoline for the dinghy, and fresh water, and I have gotten just the necessary items from the grocery store. We hear from Pete Ver Ploeg that provisions are cheap in the DR, so we'll wait to really restock when we get down there.  Laundry is done, and I'm updating you, so we should be good to go in the morning, weather permitting.  It may be a bit windier than will be comfortable tomorrow, but we should be able to handle it. Our plan is to sail across to Rum Cay before making our way toward the Turks & Caicos Islands en route to the Dominican. We'll see how we do!

Oh, and we've been gone two months today! Not too shabby.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


PER on

Great job 2 months is a great milestone. Keep up the good work and lots of pictures.
Have been reading Peter V's posts. Sounds like a lively group you going to hook up with.
Hope Caleb is having some luck fishing I'm sure he is enjoying the swimming.
Let us know as soon as you get in. even a sort post lets us know where you are.


Sally Adamson Taylor on

I think you did well to skip a long stay in Georgetown. Some people go there for the whole winter and they get really BORED. They sit around tables making baskets woven from the local reed. And they all have scars from carpel tunnel surgery. From weaving the baskets. Go figure!

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: