One Monthiversary

Trip Start Nov 06, 2010
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
At anchor

Flag of United States  , Florida
Monday, December 6, 2010

We have officially been gone one month! Our send off from Woods Hole seems like light years away, and I know we're all happy to say that we have just about reached our first real goal destination of Fort Lauderdale. We didn't really have an idea of how long this would take us, so it is great to feel like some significant progress has been made.

I got up at 0500 this morning, and immediately put a pot on for tea. We've found that having the galley person rise first is best as then one person isn't always having to set the alarm and wake everyone up (no one wants to be that guy), and it's much nicer to wake up to the sounds of warm food and drink being prepared for you.

And warmth was definitely needed this morning. We are all a little bit baffled by it being this cold when we have reached the southernmost state on the eastern seaboard - North Carolina was way warmer! Oh well. We hear it was 22 degrees in Woods Hole today, so we'll be quiet (granted, we wouldn't be outside all day motoring if we were up there...). We got underway by 0530, and it was quite an enjoyable morning with some good conversation to distract us from our icy fingers, toes, and noses.

Today's scenery opened up a bit. As opposed to narrow, residential canals we were out in wider sections of water, with small islands at random. At times, land would be lined with palm trees and other foliage, but other times it would be all high-rise hotels and the like. Even though we were in wider sections of water, the ICW did not expand at all. It was odd to look at all that water, see that we were only in 10 or 12 feet of water and that just a stone's throw away, there were depths of just a few feet. We kept an eye on the channel markers and kept Hejira safely inside.

We had made about 30 statue miles before noon today, and it was nice to feel like the early rise had made a difference. Then, just as we were finishing up lunch (for the cold temperatures, I opted for tomato soup with grilled cheese sandwiches...but given our gluten-freeness, we lack the sandwiches were actually made with corn tortillas. Some would call this a quesadilla, but that's neither here nor there), we were traveling behind two or three other sailboats as we approached one of the many drawbridges for the day. We could see that the bridge was up, but none of the boats were going through. They were all circling back away from it, and we managed to holler to one of them to find out what the situation was. As it turned out, they were dredging the area through the bridge, and it would be only ten feet wide going through the bridge for another hour yet. Like all our neighbors, we dropped an anchor to hurry up and wait. We finished our lunches and got the dishes done, and then just killed time reading our books and keeping warm in the brisk wind.

Finally, everyone started making moves. We raised our anchor and motored through the bridge in a caravan of about ten sailboats. It was marginally frustrating for us, but we knew we would just carry on until at least sundown, so oh well - but the vast majority of the boats pulled into what looked like a really nice marina and anchorage immediately after the bridge. Not that dropping the hook is that much of a hassle, but I know I would have been slightly annoyed pulling it up just to motor through one bridge and throw the thing back in the water!

We carried on south with a few other boats, passing through yet another drawbridge. There was much discussion between one of the other boats and the bridge tender - as it was coming up on rush hour, we were able to get through just in time. But she warned us that the next bridge was closed for the majority of rush hour and wouldn't be opening from 1530 until 1700. We slowed down a bit for the next stretch but, regardless, ended up idling and motoring in circles before the next bridge, waiting for the 1700. What are you going to do?

As it was a cold day with a very early start, we pulled off to the side of the ICW just after sunset to anchor. We are right in the Cape Canaveral area, and we could see on our way down to anchor the hangar where some of those NASA space toys are kept. Too bad we won't be able to see a launch while we're here!

Sorry our internet has been so sporadic, and I know it won't improve when we make for the islands. We really appreciate everyone following along, and we hope you'll keep up with us, even when our communication gets more patchy! So far it's been a good run.

Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: