Trip Start Nov 06, 2010
108Trip End Ongoing
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Where I stayed
When we woke up a few hours later, we toyed with the idea of either moving Hejira or taking the dinghy across the channel
A few minutes later, as Connor, Pete, and I were doubling up our dock lines and readjusting the fenders, Nick came back with good news. The Point Judith Coast Guard had been across the way practicing docking in the rough harbor. When they saw the dinghy float away, they were uncertain whether or not there was a person inside so they followed it out. When they saw Nick out on the jetty, they yelled to him. He informed them there was no one inside, but that yes, it was ours. They said they would retrieve it. They returned about 15 minutes later, and after surveying the situation and realizing the lack of dock space to pull up and hand it over, Pete yelled, "We'll see you tomorrow!" and they returned to their dock across the way with our dinghy in tow
After several hours of sitting in Hejira's cabin, trying to stay warm and entertained, the wind died down. We knew we would need to retrieve the dinghy in the morning anyway, and since we could all use some time in a warm building, and hopefully some wireless internet, we decided to motor to the other side of the harbor to the town of Galilee. We thanked the Coast Guard and retrieved our dinghy, and have successfully found a warm spot to check in and update. We'll see if the weather will be favorable to move farther south in the morning.
The warm spot we found was a fisherman bar where the tender and patrons were very friendly and sarcastic. They discussed marine acronyms for about an hour while we internetted. We didn't bother to tell them the story of how we spent the morning making fun of the Coast Guard parking drills, only to have the immediately save the dingy.