Zuerueck in Asien

Trip Start Unknown
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Thailand  ,
Saturday, March 19, 2016

zuerst auf englisch, dann auf deutsch, 
danke, Ilona fuer die Uebersetung

Chumphon Province, Thailand

Two months vacation out of my travelling vacation – home in Germany.  Once again, I’m immersed in German culture, no blunders in a foreign language (unless I put my foot into my mouth here too - a distinct possibility).  I am familiar with the law, I expect few surprises and I know where I will sleep each day and where I’ll wake up each morning.  I dive head first into familiar life and cherish it.  Every day routine is now my holiday.  No more distorted skype talks with my parents, my brother and my Opa.  Two big long beautiful months – how quickly will they pass?  

In Mikado, a small and cozy meeting place just outside of Karlsruhe, I gave a lecture of my trip.  As it turns out the hall was much too small as it only held 150 people and, unfortunately, 40 people had to be turned away. We collected 1495 Euros in donations.  The money was designated and used for medical supplies for a small refugee camp in Sulaimani, in the northern part of Iraq.  Thank you to all who participated.

Back to Laos
I flew back to Bangkok on January 31st and arrived 4 days later in Luang Namtha, northern Laos, where my bike Charlotte was waiting for me.  I gave Charlotte a thorough going over and realized too late that I had forgotten an important bicycle part in Bangkok. I called the bicycle store and they agreed to send it to me.  And then, I waited and waited…  Thanks to Robin, a German  friend, I found a replacement part that worked and this allowed me to carry on with my journey.  Parting from this lovely place with its wonderful and kind people was difficult.  I had a hard time saying goodbye.  Later I heard that my package with the bicycle part arrived 5 days after I had left.
I left Luang Namtha and headed in a southerly direction to Thailand.  Dog-tired and exhausted I reached a small village.  The villagers looked very poor.  Their clothes were threadbare and shabby.  I saw no store close by, but my tired eyes immediately scouted a school with a nice grassy schoolyard that looked very inviting as a campsite.  I wanted to ask the teacher for permission to set up camp for the night, but the children indicated she was not there.  I sat down on the wooden steps going up to the school and watched the children play (in a manner of speaking).  They were slapping, kicking and whacking each other.  Everybody was fighting everybody else; big kids against little kids, boys against girls - they fell down, they got up - and then they started all over again.  Their weapons of choice were sticks.  There was no shouting, no complaints, and no tears. 

However, when a small girl fell down a slope after she was kicked in the back, she began to cry.  Immediately the remaining children stopped fighting each other, surrounded her and comforted her.  They finally brought the injured child to me and I treated her with my first aid kit.  There was not a peep out of her when I disinfected the wound and put Iodine onto the cut.  I rewarded the little girl for being so brave by putting a lovely band aid on her wrist.  

It was getting dark.  The children and I sat around and they just looked at me.  I pointed at my book and said "book" and the children repeated “book”.  I pointed at my nose, they all repeated "nose" together, and then we progressed to "mouth", "glasses", "eyes", "ears", "sandals", etc.

I slept in one of the classrooms and next morning, when I packed up my belongings, the children watched me through the windows.   I prepared my breakfast oatmeal and then taught the children some more German words. Of course, the children did not realize these words were in my native tongue.  “Knife”, “spoon”, “water” and so on, and then we repeated the words they had learned the day before.  
When I was ready to leave, the children helped me push my bike up the hill.  It was time to say farewell.  I turned around and the children waved and cried, “sandal, sandal…”  Thank you little children for these unforgettable moments.

The road was rocky, sandy and infinitely precipitous. After three hours of pushing Charlotte with an average speed of 2.8 km/h and having covered only 9 km, I had had enough.  Although I only had 30 km to go, it would have meant pushing my bike for a day and a half.  When I heard a car coming my way, I thought the only possible way out of this dilemma was hitchhiking.  As luck was on my side, I got picked up right away.   

One night I spent in the church hall of a village and while I put up my tent on the stage, a tipsy young men joined me - apparently convinced that I was in need of company.  It was a bit annoying, but I managed to get rid of him.  In the middle of the night, however, I woke up from loud knocking at my door - luckily I had locked it.  To my great relief, a woman next door was shouting at the perpetrator angrily and he cleared out.   Although I didn’t understand a word she was saying, I did send silent prayers of thanks to my unknown benefactor.

My last day in Laos.  The children are standing at the edge of the street, waving and shouting, "sabaidee, sabaidee..."  They laugh and are happy.  Mothers with their babies in their arms are waving, “sabaidee…”  I am waving back and am careful to keep my eyes on the road and not to have an accident…  

One week later I leave the train in Ayutthaia, Thailand, to meet Erik who is waiting there for me.  We became acquainted in 2011 in Canada, his native country.  He on his bike and I on mine…  I was on the final leg of my travels across Canada by bike - eastward bound to St. Johns, Nfld.  It was in Victoria, a small village on Prince Edward Island, where we met and then travelled together for the next 3 weeks.  After we parted, we kept in touch via Skype and email for the next 4 years.  Erik became one of my best friends.  Now we are planning to cycle together for a while.  We are southward bound.  
It is different, travelling with a companion.

… Four weeks later and Erik and I are no longer travelling together.  We ended up fighting all the time and before this bickering would end our friendship, we decided to go our separate ways and hopefully meet up somewhere in the future
 Zwei Monate Urlaub vom Urlaub. Zwei Monate Deutschland. Deutsch reden, deutsch verstehen, keine Fettnaepfchen, in die ich aus Versehen trampel, weil ich die ungeschriebenen Gesetze nicht kenne, keine Ueberraschungen, wissen, was morgen passieren wird und wissen, wo ich die naechste Nacht schlafen werde. 
Vertraute Gesichter, eintauchen in den Alltag meiner Freunde, ihre Geschichten aufsaugen und dabei anfangen, wo wir vor einem Jahr aufgehoert haben.
Meine Eltern, meinen Bruder, meinen Opa nicht verkrisselt ueber Skype erleben, sondern echt.
Ja, es waren zwei tolle Monate, die viel zu schnell vorbeigingen.

Ich hielt einen Vortrag ueber meine Reise im Mikado, einem kleinen und gemuetlichen Veranstaltungsort in Karlsruhe. Zu klein, wie sich herausstellen sollte.  Mit 150 Menschen war der Saal vollbesetzt. 40 Menschen mussten unverrichteter Dinge wieder umkehren, was ich sehr schade fand.
Wir haben insgesamt 1495 Euro an Spenden zusammengesammelt. Dieses Geld ist einem Fluechtlingslager in Sulaimani, im Norden vom Irak zugute gekommen. Von dem Geld wurden mittlerweile Medikamente gekauft.

Zurueck in Laos
Am 31. Jan flog ich zurueck nach Bangkok. Schon vier Tage spaeter war ich in Luang Namtha, im Norden von Laos. Dort, wo meine Charlotte wartete.
Ich machte sie startklar, und stellte fest, ich habe ein wichtiges Fahrradteil in Bangkok vergessen. Ich rief dort an, mit der Bitte, es mir nachzuschicken.Ich wartete auf das Paekchen und wartete und wartete.  Mit Hilfe von Robin, einem Deutschen, der dort seit ueber einem Jahr arbeitete, fand ich billigen Ersatz und verabschiedete mich von diesem wunderbaren Ort mit seinen tollen Menschen dort. Wie immer fiel mir der Abschied schwer. Fuenf Tage spaeter kam mein Paekchen an.

Ich machte mich auf Richtung Sueden, zurueck nach Thailand.
Schon sehr muede und kaputt erreichte ich eines Nachmittages ein kleines Dorf. Die Menschen dort schienen nicht gerade in Reichtum zu schwimmen. Die Menschen trugen zerschlissene Kleidung. Es gab keinen Laden.
Eine Schule mit ihrem grossen Rasenplatz  lud zum Bleiben ein. Ich fragte, wo der Lehrer sei, um ihn um Erlaubnis zu fragen, hier schlafen zu duerfen. Der Lehrer war nicht da. und so wartete ich auf den Holztreppen  und sah den Kindern beim Spielen zu. Spielen? Sie rauften und kloppten sich. Alle gegen alle, gross gegen klein, Maedchen gegen Junge. Sie traten sich gegen die Beine. Sie traten sich in den Ruecken. Sie fielen hin und sprangen wieder auf. Kein Geschrei, kein Klagen, keine Traenen. Sie kaempften mit Stoecken. 
Ein Maedchen fiel nach einem Tritt in den Ruecken einen kleinen Abhang hinunter und fing an zu weinen. Sofort hoerten die uebrigen Kinder auf, sich zu kloppen, umringten sie, troesteten sie. Sie kamen zu mir, in der Mitte das verletzte Kind. Ich desinfizierte und verband ihren Schnitt am Handgelenk. Kein Mucks, als ich das Jod auf ihre Wund auftat. 

Es wurde dunkel. Die Kinder sassen um mich herum und betrachteten mich.
Ich fing an, zeigte auf mein Buch "Buch", die Kinder wiederholten: "Buch." Ich zeigte auf meine Nase. "Nase." "Nase" wiederholten sie alle zusammen, "Mund", "Brille" "Auge", "Ohr", "Sandale". 
Ich schlief in einem der Klassenraume, und waehrend ich am naechsten Morgen die Sachen zusammenpackte, sahen mir die Kinder neugierig durch die Fenster zu. 
Ich bereitete die Fruehstueckshaferflocken zu und weiter ging es mit dem Deutschunterricht, von dem die Kinder nicht wussten, dass es Deutschunterricht war.
"Messer", "Loeffel", "Wasser". Wir wiederholten die Woerter vom Abend zuvor.
Ich machte mich auf den Weg. Die Kinder halfen mir beim Hochschieben. Abschied. Ich drehte mich um. Die Kinder winkten, riefen mir hinterher: "Sandale, Sandale..."

Danke euch, fuer diese unvergessenen Momente, die ich mit euch erleben durfte.

Der Weg war steinig, sandig und unendlich steil. Nach drei Stunden Schieben mit einer Durchschnittsgeschwindigkeit von 2,8 km/Std.und neun zurueckgelegten Kilometern hatte ich die Schnauze gestrichen voll. Von hinten hoerte ich ein Auto kommen. Das zweite an diesem Tag. Ich stellte mich mit ausgebreiteten Armen in die Mitte des Weges und zwang das Auto zum halten. Die Menschen nahmen mich zum Glueck mit. 
Es lagen zwar nur noch 30 km vor mir. aber sie haetten 1,5 Tage schieben bedeutet. 

Eine Nacht verbrachte ich im Gemeindesaal eines Dorfes. Waehrend ich auf der Buehne das Zelt aufbaute, gesellte sich ein schon leicht angesaeuselter Typ zu mir, und ging mir auf die Nerven. Ich befoerderte ihn freundlich nach draussen und legte mich schlafen. 
Von lautem Klopfen an der Tuer wachte ich auf. Das muss dieser Typ sein. Zum Glueck hatte ich die Tuer abgeschlossen. Ploetzlich hoerte ich eine Frau wuest und sehr wuetend schimpfen, das Klopfen hoerte auf, der Typ machte sich vom Acker. Ich hoerte sie weiter schimpfen und obwohl ich kein Wort haette uebersetzen koennen, verstand ich alles, was sie sagte. Danke, unbekannte Frau.

Mein letzter Tag in Laos. Die Kinder stehen am Strassenrand, winken mir zu, "Sabaidee, sabaidee..." Sie lachen und freuen sich. Muetter die ihre kleinen Kinder auf dem Armen halten heben den Arm ihres Sproesslings, winken damit "Sabaidee....".
und ich winke zurueck und passe auf, dass ich keinen Unfall baue.

Eine Woche spaeter steige ich in Ayutthaia, Thailand, aus dem Zug. Erik wartet dort auf mich. 
Wir haben uns 2011 in Kanada, seiner Heimat, kennengelernt. Er mit dem Fahrrad unterwegs, ich mit dem Fahrrad unterwegs. Wir lernten uns in Viktoria, einem kleinen Dorf auf Prince Eward Island kennen, fuhren die naechsten drei Wochen zusammen und hielten die naechsten vier Jahre Kontakt ueber Skype. Erik wurde zu einem meiner besten Freunde. 
Nun sind wir wieder gemeinsam unterwegs weiter Richtung Sueden. 
Es ist anders, das Reisen zu zweit...
....und nach vier Wochen auch wieder zuende. Wir haben uns fast nur gestritten und bevor unsere Freundschaft daran zerbricht, haben wir uns wieder getrennt.

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Tantchen ilona on

Weiterhin gute Reise, Suesse. May the Wind always be in your back and your tires be full of air. Looking forward to seeing pics. Hugs

Tantchen ilona on

Translation to follow shortly

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: