Osttürkei und schnell durch den Iran

Trip Start Unknown
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Iran  ,
Tuesday, March 17, 2015

zuerst auf Englisch, dann auf Deutsch
(danke, Ilona, fuer die Uebersetzung)


Struggle and exertion in Turkey
Still 300 km to the Iranian border.  I was warned that in the eastern part of Turkey I might possibly encounter packs of dogs, stone-throwing children and/or disagreeable individuals.  Leaving Tatvan, I mounted my beloved Charlotte with mixed feeling.  The sun was shining, the wonderful Van lake on the right side, and snowy mountains to the left.  I worried where I might sleep and was afraid that I would find nothing.  I decided to pretend to be a teacher and ended up sleeping at a teacher hotel in Oegretmenevi.   As it turned out there were teacher hotels in almost any town.  Therefore my overnight questions were largely resolved.  To tell the truth, I also didn’t have the courage to knock on peoples’ doors and ask whether I might pitch my tent in their yard. 

 I was 50 km away from Tatvan when I hit on the first dog pack.  One of them bit my backpack that was strapped across the carrier.   The next day again a pack of barking and growling dogs approached me, luckily a very nice man shooed the dogs away and invited me to a cup of hot tea.  I accepted with pleasure and followed him to meet his Kurdish family.   Shoes off - and we all sat together on the floor.  They asked many questions and for the most part I was able to answer them.  The only disturbing fact was that everyone appeared to be ichy and was scratching furiously from head to toe.  More and more family members arrived and when the family eldest arrived, he was greeted with great respect, everyone stood up, bowed and kissed his hand.  I was invited to share their meal of fish and bread and then drink many cups of tea.  When it was time to leave, we parted as friends and everyone waved goodbye.  Yes, as you can see, the eastern part of Turkey is also known for its hospitality.

My second-last day in Turkey I was ascending a mountain top at a height of 2600m when the screws on my bike stand were showing signs of wear and were geting loose.  The wind was howling and it was damn cold.   So - tools out - tighten the screws before the frost bites off my fingers, and then onward facing the descent of 1000m.   When I arrived in the valley below, a group of 10 children and teenagers stopped me.  They  surrounded me and my bike and addressed me in a very aggressive manner.  They had their hands on everything on the bike.  I hit one of them on his fingers - but when another tried to grab my ass, I had had enough and yelled at them letting them know I was far from being pleased.  I guess the harshness of the German language and my (raging) demeanor intimidated them and, although they ran away, they were still throwing stones at me.

I hardly had time to relax when a few kilometers further on, a pack of street dogs were hard at my heels.  With a combination of my ultra-sound defense device and my (by now) well-practiced German voice box, I kept the dogs away from me and slowly backed out of their territory.  I don’t have to tell you that I’ve had enough for this day and when I arrived in Dogubayazit, I took a a well-deserved day of rest.  It was now time to look forward to new adventures in Iran. 

Iran’s welcoming me
I was still 15 km ahead of the Iranian border and already there was a giant queue of trucks.  For the drivers that meant a waiting time of 4 days.  On the border I had to run after the Turkish police to get my passport stamped.  The border crossing took precisely 10 minutes, then headscarf on, $40 money exchanged and off I went.  

It was getting dark and as I had not yet resolved my overnight stay, I was glad when a sign announced the Iranian Red Cross was a few kilometers ahead.  I knocked on the door, explained that I was looking for overnight accommodation, and was immediately asked to come in.  They offered me a room, when suddenly one of the men said that as a lone woman I may not stay among men only.  Uff.  But immediately there was a solution:  In the rescue car I was driven back 50 km to the Red Cross in Maku where they had an extra space for women.  There, I  was invited to share their dinner of rice and kebab, and the next day the rescue car took me back to my bicycle.   

After that I spent another night with another Red Cross station where there was no problem that I was the only woman.  We sat together, watched TV and I learnt that the American government is governed by Zionists, and that Dresden had won against Dortmund 1:0, or was it the other way around (I can’t remember).  

There was a lot of traffic on the roads, in contrast to Turkey.  Petrol is dirt cheap and cars also do not seem to be expensive.  A wide shoulder beside the road provided relative safety for me.  And yet I got an overwhelming  fright when barely 50 m ahead of me a car left the street, overturned several times and landed upside down on the road.  I think the driver was distracted by me, luckily he and his companion were unhurt, but the car was a total write off.  The same day another driver got a kick out of scaring me half to death by racing towards me and then suddenly swerved to avoid me.  Ha, ha, funny.  And yet I feel a lot safer than in Turkey.  The dogs lying by the road side were not hostile and did not attack me, kids in the villages smiled and waved at me, “hello, hello”, 

I spent the night in Markand with a local family.  The mother served tea, the father was playing with the cell phone and the child was watching TV.  The gas stove was on full throttle, but luckily we were all sitting on the floor and heat, as everybody knows, rises.  Coming from a cycling temperature of around 10 degrees in Turkey, I was totally unaccustomed to these sauna-like indoors conditions.  

In Täbris a family whose daughter was Sarper’s student in Kayseri was waiting for me.  We had arranged to meet on the outskirts of the city.  The closer I came to Täbris, the more the traffic increased.  The shoulder of the road shrivelled down to a width of 30 cm, sometimes less.  I stopped at a fork in the road and was wondering which might be the right way.  My GPS was of no help.  Also I was worried how dangerous it might be to bike on this road when suddenly a car stopped next to me.  I explained where I was going and he told me there was no problem.  Follow him.  Sometimes he was driving in front of me, other times behind me, giving me space cover so to speak.  Guided his way, I arrived safely at my meeting place.  I find this kind of passion and friendliness incredible.  

My family was waiting there for me already.  They said they had waited only 15 minutes, but I very much doubt that..  I decided right then and there to buy myself an Iranian SIM-Card so I’d be able to make emergency calls.  We packed my luggage into the car trunk and they slowly drove ahead with me following on my bike.  It was a nightmare, we went through tunnels, two-lane roads without shoulders, and it seemed we were always turning left.  Two-lane roads does not mean there is room for 2 cars - no - it simply means there is (barely) room for three or more cars.  And they are constantly moving around taking every available space there is on the road.  If someone wants to turn left, he just inches forward until the driver on the opposite side can no longer squeeze by him.  In my mind, absolute chaos.  Nobody stops to let anyone pass, or let anyone get out of a parking space, for instance.  Instead they would push on the gas pedal to get by.  Sex doesn’t seem to matter.  Women drivers are as bad as men.

Finally we stopped and put Charlotte into the small trunk fastened with a belt, half of my poor bike hanging out of the car.  In my mind I already saw Charlotte falling out of the trunk and being run over by a car. Nothing happened.  

A gigantic, royally furnished, two-storied apartment with several bathrooms awaited me.  And there was one room for me.  My eyes popped out.  On the upper floor was Nasrin playing for me on the piano - some known pieces and some Iranian tunes as well.  It was wonderful.  It is amazing what life on the bike has in store for me!  In the evening we went to a restaurant.  The whole family (about 50 members) had congregated to celebrate the successful final university exam of one of their sons.  A big hello, a big dinner, and then a long goodbye with lots of picture taking.  

I stayed in Tabris four nights, thenI took the night bus to Esfahan.  Three days later I took the bus to Bandar Abbas where I bought a ticket to Dubai with final destination Oman.  

In the meantime, it was bang-hot, but I was very much  looking forward to lone stretches of no cars, camp fires and sleeping in my tent in which I haven’t slept since December.  My down jacket I expect to unpack again in about 4-5 months on the Pamir highway at a height of 4000m.  Until then it’s heat and sweating time.
 Tatvan - Dogubayazit - Täbris - Isfahan - Bandar Abbas

Noch 300 km waren es, die mich von der iranischen Grenze trennten. Ich wurde im Vorfeld gewarnt vor aggressiven Hunden, steinewerfenden Kindern und unangenehmen Typen, die mich im Osten der Türkei erwarten würden. Mit gemischten Gefühlenstieg ich in Tatvan auf meine Charlotte und machte mich auf den Weg. Die Sonne schien, der wunderschöne Van-See auf der rechten Seite,schneebedeckte Berge auf der linken. Ich machte mir  Gedanken darüber, wo ich die nächste Nacht schlafen würde, machte mir Sorgen, dass ich nichts finden würde. Letztendlich gab ich mich wieder als Lehrerin aus und schlief in einem Oegretmenevi, einem Lehrerhotel. Diese gab es in jeder kleineren und größeren Stadt, wie sich herausstellte, und somit waren meine Übernachtungsfragen geklärt.Ich hatte, ehrlich gesagt, nicht den Mut, in irgendwelchen Dörfern an die Türe zu klopfen und um Herberge zu bitten. 50 km hinter Tatvan traf ich auf die erste Hundemeute. Einer von ihnen biss in meinen Rucksack, der quer auf dem Gepäckträger geschnallt war.Und als am nächstenTag wieder ein Rudel bellender und knurrender Köter auf mich zurannte, erschien ein Mann, vertrieb diese und lud mich zum Tee ein.
Gerne nahm ich die Einladung an, und bog ab zu der kleinen Häuseransammlung. Schuhe aus, auf dem Boden sitzend, scharrte sich die Familie um mich herum, stellte mir Fragen, die ich mehr oder weniger beantworten konnte.
Immer mehr Familienangehörige kamen, und als der älteste Familienvorstand den Raum betrat, standen alle auf, machten Andeutungen einer Verbeugung und küssten seine Hand. Es gab Fisch und Brot zu essen, dazu Tee, Tee und nochmals Tee. Für mich war es Zeit, sich zu verabschieden. Alle gingen mit hinaus und winkten zum Abschied.Auch für seine Gastfreundschaft ist der Osten der Türkei bekannt. Mein vorletzter Tag in der Türkei führte mich auf 2600 Meter Höhe. Oben angekommen windete es wie verrückt. Es war saukalt und oben stellte ich fest, dass sich die Schrauben des Fahrradständers gelöst hatten. Also Werkzeug raus, Schrauben festdrehen und sich die Finger abfrieren bevor es 1000 Höhenmeter wieder hinabging. Im Tal angekommen sah ich schon aus der Ferne eine Gruppe von 10 Kindern und Jugendlichen am Straßenrand stehen. Sie hielten mich an.Vorsichtshalber habe ich vorher meinen Tacho eingepackt. Sieumringten mich, laberten mich in aggressivem Tonfall an, grabschten an meinem Fahrrad herum. Ich haute dem einen auf die Finger. Einer versuchte mir am Hintern zu grabschen. Es reichte mir, und das machte ich sehr deutlich. Da hat die deutsche Sprache doch Ihren Vorteil, so hart, wie sie für Ausländer klingt. Plötzlich liefen sie weg und schmissen mit faustgroßen Steinen nach mir. Ich hatte gar keine Zeit diese Situation zu verarbeiten, denn keine zwei Kilometer weiter hatte ich wieder mit einer Kötermeute zu kämpfen, sie anzuschreien, mein Ultraschallgerät gegen sie zu richten und ganz langsam aus deren Revier zu verschwinden. Für heute hatte ich die Nase gestrichen voll. Ich gönnte mir einen Tag Pause in Dogubayazit bevor ich mich auf das Abenteuer Iran einließ.

Welcome to Iran“
Schon 15 km vor der iranischen Grenze stauten sich die LKWs. Vier Tage Wartezeit bedeutet dies für die Fahrer. An der Grenze musste ich der türkischen Polizei hinterherlaufen, dass sie mir den Ausreisestempel in den Pass drückte. Keine zehn Minuten dauerte die Einreiseprozedur in den Iran. Kopftuch auf, 40 $ gewechselt und los ging´s. Es wurde langsam dämmerig, und wieder war die Übernachtungsfrage ungeklärt. Heilfroh war ich, als ein Schild auftauchte, welches das iranische rote Kreuz in einigen Kilometern ankündigte. Ich klopfte an, erklärte mein Anliegen und wurde lächelnd hereingebeten. Ein freies Zimmer hatten sie für mich, die Heizung volle Pulle an, aber das war mir in dem Augenblick egal, Hauptsache ein Dach über dem Kopf für diese Nacht. Und plötzlich hieß es, ich dürfte hier nicht übernachten, als einzige Frau unter Männern. Uff. Aber es gab auch schon gleich eine Lösung: Im Rettungswagen wurde ich 50 km zurück zum Roten Kreuz nach Maku gefahren. Dort gab es einen Extraraum für Frauen. Ich wurde mit Reis und Kebab beköstigt, und am nächsten Tag ging es im Rettungswagen zurück zu meinem Fahrrad. Auch die darauffolgende Nacht klopfte ich beim Roten Kreuz an. Hier war es kein Problem,  allein unter Männern zu sein. Wir saßen zusammen, guckten fernsehen und ich lernte, dass die amerikanische Regierung von Zionisten gesteuert wird, und erfuhr, dass Dresden gegen Dortmund 1:0 gewonnen hatte, oder war es umgekehrt?
Es herrscht viel Verkehr auf der Straße, im Gegensatz zur Türkei. Benzin ist hier spottbillig, und Autos scheinen auch nicht besonders teuer zu sein. Ein breiter Seitenstreifen sorgt für meine subjektive und objektive Sicherheit. Ich bekam dennoch einen Riesenschreck, als keine 50m vor mir ein Auto von der Straße abkam, sich mehrmals überschlug und auf dem Kopf liegenblieb. Ich vermute, der Fahrer ließ sich von mir ablenken. Ihm und seinem Beifahrer ist zum Glück nichts passiert. Das Auto ist schrott. Am selben Tag fand es jemand superwitzig, auf mich zuzurasen und im letzten Moment wieder abzudrehen. Haha. Und doch empfinde ich es hier viel, viel angenehmer zu fahren, als in der Türkei. Die Hunde liegen träge am Straßenrand, die Kinder in den Dörfern, winken und rufen freudig „Hello, hello“.
In Markand übernachtete ich bei einer Familie, Vater, Mutter, Kind. Die Mutter reichte dem Vater, Tee, Handy...das Kind schaute Fernsehen. Mittlerweile sind 10 Grad für mich eine angenehme Radeltemperatur, und somit bekomme ich natürlich einen absoluten Hitzeschock in diesen überhitzten saunagleichen Räumen. Der Gasofen ist volle Pulle an, und zum Glück sitzen wir auf dem Boden, und nicht am Tisch, denn Hitze steigt ja bekanntlich nach oben.
In Täbris wartete eine Familie auf mich, deren Tochter bei Sarper in Kayseri studierte. Wir haben einen Treffpunkt am Stadtrand ausgemacht. Je näher ich Täbris kam, desto mehr nahm der Verkehr zu. Teilweise schrumpfte der Seitenstreifen auf knapp 30 cm zusammen. Unschlüssig stand ich an einer Weggabelung und überlegte, was wohl der richtige Abzweig war. Mein GPS Gerät konnte mir da nicht weiterhelfen. Außerdem fand ich es wahnsinnig, hier auf der Straße zu fahren. Da hielt plötzlich ein Auto neben mir. Ich erklärte dem Fahrer, wo ich hinmöchte, und er sagte kein Problem. Langsam fuhr er mal vor mal hinter mir, gab mir „Raumdeckung“ und führte mich zum Treffpunkt. Ich finde diese Hilfsbereitschaft und dieses Mitdenken für andere einfach einmalig. Am Treffpunkt wartete schon die Familie. Sie sagten seit 15 Minuten, aber das glaubte ich ihnen nicht. Ich beschloss, mir sofort eine iranische SIM-Card zu kaufen. Wir packten das Gepäck in den Kofferraum und beschlossen, dass sie langsam vorfahren, und ich mit dem Fahrrad hinterher. Ein Alptraum erwartete mich. Es ging durch Tunnel, zweispurigen Straßen ohne Seitenstreifen, ständiges Linksabbiegen. Zweispurige Straßen heißen in Täbris nicht, dass die Autos hier in zwei Spuren fahren, sondern das genug Platz ist für mindestens drei Reihen Autos. Es wird hin und her gewechselt, jede freie Lücke wird ausgenutzt. Möchte jemand links abbiegen, wird Stück für Stück vorgerückt, bis die entgegenkommenden Autos keine andere Möglichkeit mehr haben, als anzuhalten. In meinen Augen das absolute Chaos. Es wird nicht angehalten um jemanden freundlicherweise abbiegen oder aus einer Parklücke herauszufahren zu lassen. Stattdessen wird noch schnell daran vorbeigehuscht, bzw. gedrängelt. Frauen wie Männer. Wir hielten an und packten Charlotte in den kleinen Kofferraum, aus dem sie halb heraushing. Festgebunden durch einen Gürtel. Ich sah Charlotte schon aus dem Kofferraum fallen und vom nachfolgenden Auto überrollt. Nix passierte. Mich erwartete ein fürstlich eingerichteter Palast an Wohnung. Riesengroß, zweistöckig. Mehrere Bäder, ein Zimmer für mich. Im oberen Geschoss stand ein Flügel auf dem mir Nasrin, der Sohn etwas vorspielte, bekannte Stücke, auch ein paar iranische. Wunderschön. Was hat das Leben auf dem Fahrrad doch für Überraschungen parat. Abends ging es in ein Restaurant. Die gesamte Großfamilie aus mehr als 50 Leuten versammelte sich, um den Studienabschluss eines Sohnes zu feiern. Ein großes Hallo, essen und ein lang andauerndes sich Verabschieden mit vielen Fotos. Vier Nächte blieb ich in Täbris bis ich mit dem Nachtbus nach Esfahan fuhr....
von dort drei Tage später mit dem Bus weiter nach Bandar Abbas. Das Fährticket nach Dubai gekauft und ab in die VAE, bzw. Oman.
Es ist jetzt schon knalleheiß, aber ich freue mich auf einsame Strecken ohne Autos, auf Lagerfeuer und auf mein Zelt, in dem ich seit Dezember nicht mehr geschlafen habe...
Meine Daunenjacke werde ich wohl das nächste Mal auf dem Pamirhighway auf 4000m Höhe auspacken müssen, in vier bis fünf Monaten. Bis dahin ist schwitzen angesagt.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Sigrid on

Nun können wir beruhigt Ostern feiern, Heike geht es gut!

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: