Walking on Stewart Island

Trip Start Nov 02, 2012
Trip End Jan 04, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Kaka Retreat Motel - Stewart Island
Read my review - 5/5 stars

Flag of New Zealand  , South Island,
Thursday, November 29, 2012

Went to the information centre, then went for a long walk. Started with Fuchsia walk then Raroa walk which ended at Golden Bay. The walks took us through forest paths seeing Kaka, Tui, Native Pigeon and Fantails. From Golden Bay you could see across to Ulva and Iona Islands. The wind was still strong and the sea choppy. Went for a fish and chip lunch at the South Sea Hotel, lovely blue cod meal. We then continued our walk along the shore road up Peterson Hill road and a walkway to Deep Bay. Weather changed again, hailstones, windy and then brilliant sunshine, typical spring weather. Went from Deep Bay back to Golden Bay and then home for sandwich tea.

Dave later went on a Kiwi night guided tour , Laura stayed at home. David met up with 15 others for a boat trip starting at 20.30, 25 minute trip across Paterson Bay to disembark at a jetty whilst it was still light. Armed with torches there were two guides who led us up a muddy, wet, slippery path through tropical forest to Ocean Beach. On the way the sun went down and we used our torches to light the way under low trees and over obstacles, keeping our eyes open for Kiwis. We arrived at the beach, at this point only the guide was allowed his torch on. It was a very sandy beach with dry seaweed which hid various insects the lure for the Kiwi. We followed the guide along the beach, he used his torch to scan the beach then switched it off. There was a full moon which was luckily covered by clouds some of the time. On the return trip a Kiwi was spotted and the guide dimmed his torch to prevent blinding the Kiwi and frightening it. We all got some photos and Dave had his binoculars so he got a close look at them feeding. We then found some nesting Oyster Catchers, as they left the nest we quickly looked at it. We then found a second Kiwi but it did not stay long, we then returned to the boat. During our trip there were periods of rain. Travelled back home to Laura arriving home at 12.30 cold and wet. Laura made me tea and wrapped me in a blanket to thaw out. Great adventure
Slideshow Report as Spam

My Review Of The Place I Stayed

Loading Reviews
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: