From the Windy City to the Capital City

Trip Start Jun 24, 2012
Trip End Sep 21, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , Illinois
Friday, September 7, 2012

Today was our last day in Chicago, as we were due to catch an overnight train to Washington D.C. We packed up our 'body bags' (really starting to feel like they have people in them now... definitely not getting any lighter!) and went downstairs to get some breakfast in the common room. Well stocked up on pastries and apple juice, we headed back to our room to grab our bags and found that the door had locked against our key cards. I left Laura to keep trying and went to the front desk to try and get everything sorted out, and eventually the panic was over.

We checked out of the hostel at 11am but stayed in the lobby to use the Internet to catch up on a few necessary bits and pieces and I also FaceTimed the Heals again for a bit. A couple of hours later, we reluctantly shrugged on our bags again and headed out into a grey and drizzly city to walk to Union Station to catch our train. The weather perfectly matched our moods; we're both a bit sad to be leaving Chicago.
The walk was difficult to say the least, but around 30 minutes later we were there; it should have only taken about 15 minutes but we stopped a few times as I thought my shoulders were going to pop out of their sockets! When we were at the station, we exchanged our tickets and were then allowed into the 'Metropolitan Lounge' - it sounded fancy but really all it was was a glorified waiting room with free soda and goldfish crackers (still pretty cool though!) that we were allowed to sit in as we had a sleeping cart booked again for our overnight trip to D.C.

It was in the metropolitan lounge that I discovered the joys of sour patch kids, and demolished an entire packet whilst waiting to alight our train. Once we were on, we met our attendant for the evening, Arthur Baxter the second (absolute dude), and quickly sorted our little cabin out; it was getting to be very familiar by this point....sort of like a stand in Hank :(

We had our dinner on the train, which was steak and vegetables, and was lovely, and were seated next to a gentleman called Jim who was from Chicago. We had a chat with him and found out that he was off to meet his wife for a holiday in Florida; she was flying as she hated trains, and he was getting the train as he hated flying....odd. He was really canny though, as everyone else has been.

Getting back to our cabin after dinner, we changed our watches and phones back to Eastern Standard Time, which would be the last time we changed time zones in our trip before getting back to Europe - it really feels like we're winding down now, which is a real shame.

We bunked down for the night, preparing for another bad night's sleep on the train - we're still not used to it - and looking forward to seeing Washington D.C tomorrow.

Deej x
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: