Stupid Isaac =[

Trip Start Jun 24, 2012
Trip End Sep 21, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , California
Monday, August 27, 2012

This morning we headed out from the hostel towards the Seaport Village area of San Diego, which is a waterfront shopping and dining complex next to San Diego bay. We'd read about it prior to coming to San Diego and it had been recommended as a good place to go on a sunny day to have a relaxed wander around.

It took us at 20 minutes to walk through downtown to get to the village, and we were surprised at how few people there were around considering it was rush hour on a Monday morning; the whole city seems really quiet and sleepy until it gets to around dinner time, when the street side restaurants start to fill up.

The first store we went to upon our arrival at the Seaport Village was a bookstore and coffee shop called the Upstart Crow. It was really cool, having shelf after shelf stacked with books, stationary, knickknacks and odd bits of paraphernalia. I literally could have spent hours in there reading and looking at everything and drinking coffee, but alas, Laura would have been bored, so we bought chocolate milk for her and apple juice for me and decided to move on. Just outside the shop there was an avenue of trees in bloom with tiny little hummingbirds sat in the branches. We tried to take photographs of them, but they're really hard to see amongst the flowers! They were really cute though, and we've never seen one before, so that was pretty special.

The other shops were pretty standard for the sort of complex that we were in; there were candle shops and old-lady clothes shops, a christmas decoration shop (completely incongruous given the heat and glorious sunshine) and a weird figurine shop ran by an ageing hippy, but there were also some cool surf wear shops to have a look around too. We spent a couple of hours here, and then made our way out along the bay to walk by the water. Here, people were sat on the grass enjoying the sun, dogs were being walked - including two little fluff monsters wearing visors.... VISORS....on dogs! Only in California - and some dude proclaiming himself to be the 'kitemaster' was flying kites.

Laura and I walked along the edge of the bay, and spotted a couple of pelicans flying over the water and diving for fish, before we decided we were hungry and headed back into town to get some lunch.

Laura had spotted a mall as we were coming into the city, so we made a beeline for there, deciding to spend the rest of the afternoon having a leisurely window shopping session. Originally we had thought about going to the coast to play in the tide pools, but this is only really an option if you're visiting San Diego with a car - otherwise it would have entailed a complex series of bus transfers, which it turned out we couldn't be bothered with; therefore the mall seemed like a good option.

When we got to the mall we were surprised to see it wasn't a traditional indoor one, but instead was as tack of alternating levels opening up onto a central courtyard. Very strange. We found lunch in the form of a hot dog for me, and a jacket potato for Laura - which she was really happy with, as we've never seen one to buy since we've been here...small pleasures! - and then popped into a couple of shops. In the American version of HMV (Sam Goodys) I was tempted by, and ultimately unable to resist a Power Rangers t shirt (as I revert back to being 8 when on holiday, apparently) and then, still exhausted by our long day yesterday. We headed back to the hostel for about 3pm.

We were glad we did. As we were relaxing, Laura checked the news and found that Isaac was turning into an actual hurricane, and was due to hit New Orleans. She checked the status of our flight for the next morning, and we were gutted to see that our San Diego to Dallas flight was fine, but our onward flight to New Orleans had been cancelled. Queue much panicking, researching on the Internet and many phone calls to try and sort something out. The upshot of this was that no planes, trains or buses were going into or out of New Orleans for 3 days, by which time we'd be heading toward Memphis anyway. In the end, we managed to get our flight moved directly to Memphis, cancelled our New Orleans hotel - which we lost the money for - cancelled our Amtrak ride from New Orleans to Memphis, and extended our hotel reservation for the three days in Memphis that we should have been in NOLA . Phew.

We were both gutted that we wouldn't get to see New Orleans, but thankful that we wouldn't be in harms way with the hurricane, and that we'd had enough time in the evening to sort everything out, especially as we needed to leave at 4.30am the next morning for our flight...had we gone to the tide pools, we may not have been able to sort everything out that day.

Sooo...we've now got one whole week in Memphis to look forward to. Still, it could have been a lot worse, and we can always arrange to go to NOLA as part of another trip (with Orlando and Hawaii...yeah, we've already got this planned haha).

Good luck New Orleans! We'll be thinking of y'all!

Deej x
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: