Darshan Uncle comes home.

Trip Start Sep 21, 2005
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of India  ,
Friday, April 21, 2006

Day 164 Fri 21st April 2006
Darshan Uncle comes home.

I struggled to get out of bed this morning, not because I was tired I just kept having these really nice dreams. I eventually surfaced at 10am. Like I said yesterday Soma hasn't been around the last couple of days, and it's been pretty nice being able to just chill! I washed all my clothes this morning, back to the backpacker's life after a week of hotel luxury. My Thai (auntie) wasn't feeling too well this morning, she has these turns every now and then. She was saying I shouldn't have to wash my own clothes, but then I told her that what I've been doing ever since I left home. Gagan came over around midday and we just chilled most of the afternoon. He was going through the collection of Bhangra music on my Powerbook, I have amassed quite a collection over the last week or so (courtesy of Ajee and Danny), it's well over 72 albums worth. We were supposed to have a new cupboard delivered to the house today, I had been to see the guys at the shop only yesterday, and they said it would be here by midday. In true Indian/Punjabi style, it didn't arrive at all! I kind of expect things like this to happen now!

By 4pm I had given up on the wardrobe and made my way to Basti (Jalandhar), Darshan Uncle was due back from Australia today. I came here on the Bullet, but I just about made it. The gears were wrecked on it, I had to reach down and put them in by hand. It seems all I ever do when I'm here is get that thing fixed! When I got to Basti I took it over to Kittu (the mechanic) and told him to sort it out.

Uncle's flight was due in to Amritsar airport at 9pm, it arrived on time and they arrived home at 1am, they took their time driving back because of uncle's ill health. It's been a few months since I last saw Uncle and I really didn't know what to expect. He is in quite a bad way, the operation he had done in Delhi obviously didn't work as the tumour has come back and is spreading at a rapid rate. He has lost a lot of weight and is unable to talk because the tumour is in and around his mouth. It was quite a shock to see him in such a bad way, he couldn't even walk from the van into the house, he was carried in like you would a child, it's a miracle that he made it back at all judging by the way he is right now. It would seem they have exhausted all possible avenues for treatment, I don't know what anybody else can do now. I think they all know it's near the end of the road, uncle was adamant he wanted to return home, I guess he just wants to be around his family for how ever long he has left. I want to stay here and help uncle in any way I can, that means I will be here longer than I originally anticipated, I was supposed to be flying back to Bangkok on the 29th of April I cancelled that date earlier today.

I am going off line for a while and the RTW is on hold until further notice...
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: