The mammoth journey back to Bangkok

Trip Start Sep 21, 2005
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Thailand  ,
Friday, April 7, 2006

Day 150 Fri 7th April 2006
The mammoth journey back to Bangkok

I was up early this morning, 6.45am to be precise! I had breakfast and got the bill sorted. Derek got up around 8am and we were both ready to leave by 8.30am. Remember the cockroach from the other day? Well I took the glass off it today and it was still there and still alive, just thought I'd mention it! We said our goodbyes to the staff at Longview, it's been a really nice place to stay and has given us a great last impression of Cambodian people. We were dropped off to the bus station, or minivan station to be exact by Delly. We got into a minivan and by the time we left (only half an hour later there were 21 of us in this 12 seater, nice! It was very hot, sweaty and sticky, we just listened to our own music most of the way.

We had to cross a few rivers along the way, and what a mission that was. The first 'ferry' (and I use that word very loosely) was basically about 4 boats tied together and then a platform was built on top of them (see pics), it had a motor on each side and they used the motors to steer the thing, unusual but it worked! We got across the river so I wasn't complaining. That's one of the great things about Cambodia, the just do things how the hell they want. The standard of the ferries did increase the closer we got to the border, the last one was more like what we are used to seeing.

We got to the border town at around 4am. We had to get on motorbike taxi's to get up to the border and then cross over on foot. Once in Thailand we got into another minivan to Trat. It started raining on the way, it's the first real rain I have seen in Southeast Asia, it was some heavy rainfall! I guess it means the rainy season is not too far way. We got to Trat around 6pm and the Bangkok bus was ready to go. We got tickets and while Derek held the bus for me I grabbed some pasties from a stall, we hadn't eaten since breakfast and I was starved. The bus was really nice, well we had just come out of Cambodia so I guess it was going to be! They gave us biscuits and coke, they also had a film on, it was in Thai but it was on!

We pulled into Bangkok at 11.20pm. There was a BST station up the road so we jumped on that to Sukhumvit, but when we tried to get onto the metro it had closed. I was famished by this point so we went to Mac's for food. We caught a cab back to Madras, and May was there with that welcoming smile of hers. We got in just before a big group of Amarican students so we got the bottom bunks. We didn't get to bed till 2am, it's been a super long and super tiring day. Cambodia has been great, I will remember our trip for along time to come, we met some great people there and felt a real connection with the place. I can see myself going back there, maybe to do some kind of aid work or something like that. It was real life experience...
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: