A day with Tee and his family.

Trip Start Sep 21, 2005
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Cambodia  ,
Wednesday, April 5, 2006

Day 148 Wed 5th April 2006
A day with Tee and his family.

We got up around 8 this morning, expecting to leave early to go to Tee's house. We waited around most of the morning for a vehicle to take us out there. Derek was feeling a bit worse to wear from last nights session, so he was glad for the time delay. Tee was already down there and Delly was supposed to take us up in a car, in the end we just went on a bike, yep three of us! Tee had asked us to bring some drinks along as a contribution to the party. We picked up three bottles of whiskey and a couple of coke from the store before getting on our way. Things were a little tight to say the least, it took about an hour to get to Tee's village, but it seemed to take forever, we had to stop a couple of times for a stretch.

The gathering was in remembrance of Tee's mother, who had passed away a few years ago. We got to the farmhouse to find the festivities well under way. Tee was sitting with friend and family enjoying food, drink and each other's company. When we arrived they lay some fabric on the floor and we all sat around, they brought out plate after plate of food and the drink started to flow. We were under the shade of a tree so the midday sun didn't really bother us. Tee's younger brother is a Buddhist monk, I took some time out to speak with him and find out more about Buddhism. It was nice to be able to talk with him on a friendly level about his faith and beliefs.

Next to the house they have a pond, Tee told us that the fish we had been eating were from that pond. He offered to show us how they catch the fish. Most of them were drunk by this point, but that didn't stop them having a go. They spent about 40 minutes in the pond and caught about 12 fish, the fish went from the pond into a bucket and then straight to the frying pan in a matter of minutes! Delly caught the most fish but he got but by something in the pond for his troubles. There was this one guy there, he was a friend of the family and apparently a police officer, but to look at him you would think it at all, he was soooo funny, he just looked like a joker! (see pics). At one point my shades did the rounds and about 6 different people tried them on, including the joker. By the end of the afternoon everyone had been drunk. and some of the guy's had even sobered up again, there was a guy sitting next to me who had a 30 minute long conversation with me in Cambodian (no I didn't have a clue about what he was saying) then started singing (see vid). All in all we had a great time, Cambodians are very much like Indian's in that they have a lot of family values. I noticed that Delly gave some money to Tee's kids, nieces and nephews, this is something we do in Indian culture too. I had a bit of a walk around in the village before we left, it 's a really nice, quite and calm place.

We left the house at 4.30pm. Delly, Derek and I were on one bike, Tee, his six year old son and his brother (the monk) were on the other. Both our bike got punctured on the way back, first Tees then about 15 minutes later ours. We stopped off to see the sunset on the way back and reached Kampot around 6.30pm. The other guest who had been on the tour arrived soon after us, they all said they had a good time but they were shattered.

Later in the evening I saw some people playing games in the street across the road from the GH, I went over and asked if I could join in. it turns out they were all teachers form the school and they were playing games in preparation for the New Year celebration. It was girls vs the boys and the game was pretty simple so I joined in. They were using seeds, that were about 3inches wide and about an inch or so thick, they were like large pebbles and just as hard! What we had to do was, the girls were standing about10 metre away from us and they would stand three seeds up in front of them, we had to try and hit the seeds from where we were standing using our seeds. It was all good fun until we lost! What they didn't tell me when they explain the rules was that if we lost the girls would hit our knee caps with the seeds (rocks!), they also had tree hits each, and there were about 8 of them, you can do the math yourself! All I know is it was a lot of hits and they heart!!! With in a matter of minutes my kneecaps had swollen up. Not one to give up easily I had another go, we won this time but I was disappointed to learn that we only get to hit the girls on their kneecaps once, what happened to equal right for women and al that? Another lesson learned!

I called Sri Lankan airlines today to change my ticket, I got a flight leaving on the 9th, so I have changed the outbound date. It means we will have to get back to Bangkok a bit earlier than planned but that's cool. I'm really looking forward to catching up with the lads and seeing my folks.

I found a huge cockroach in our room, normally they don't faze me but this one could fly! How freaky is that? I didn't realise they could fly. Derek was quite content to leave it on the window above MY BED, but I wasn't having any of it. I managed to get it onto the floor and then put a cup over it. I didn't want to squash it because it would have made too much of a mess.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: