We finaaly make it to Phuket

Trip Start Sep 21, 2005
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Thailand  ,
Saturday, March 11, 2006

Day 123 Sat 11th March 2006
We finally made it to Patong beach.
The over night bus journey was just about bearable, I got some funny clips of Alex trying to get some shuteye (see vid). I don't know if any of us actually got a decent sleep but everyone managed to get a bit of shuteye. We got to Sarat Thani around 6am this morning, we weren't told this at the time we purchased the tickets, but we were supposed to change buses there. Everyone on the bus got off and we all waited in what you could call a café. We hadn't eaten since 5pm yesterday, we all thought the bus would stop for food somewhere but it didn't. Linda got the ball rolling with a Pot Noodle and most of us followed suit. After being on the bus for nearly 12 hours, we had to wait another two hours for the mini-van. We met a lady in the café who was also going to Phuket, she was really sweet and I could tell she was dying to talk to someone (I have been there many times myself!). She was born in the UK, brought-up in South Africa and spent the last ten years of her life in London, she had come from India and was planning on travelling around Southeast Asia before returning to South Africa to 'start over'. People from the original coach were going to different destinations so we all got these fluorescent stickers with 'Phuket' written on them, just in case we got lost!

When our mini-van eventually arrived we all jumped in (the lady, this Japanese dude and us). We drove for about 5 minutes and then they made us get out and change vans, we were already wound-up from the two-hour wait and this was just pushing it! To top it off the new van was older and more battered than the first. Anyway, we left Sarat Thani after 8pm and made our way over to Phuket, everyone was still pretty tired so it was a quiet trip. We stopped for food around 11am, I was still really hungry so I had scrambled eggs on toast, it was like the best breakfast I have had in ages!!! (if you don't count the Amari) When we got to Phuket, the mini-van took us to a travel agent in the middle of nowhere, we were supposed to go to Phuket town so we could get a taxi or bus to Patong beach, but they wanted us to take the mini-van for Bht100 each. It was only 12 km away, and when you consider it cost us Bht550 to get from Bangkok to Phuket, and that took 16 hours, they were asking waaaay too much for the last 15 minutes of the trip. We managed to get a bus and then a Tuk to bring us to Patong beach, we had a LONG, HOT walk to the other side of the beach to get to our hotel. By the time we got here, I way out-for-the-count!

While the guys were sorting out the room, this Singh walked into the hotel saying he was a fortune-teller. I just got talking to the guy in Punjabi and he persuaded me to let him have a look at the palm of my right hand. I have NEVER had my fortune told and don't believe in any of that stuff but this guy was good, it was a bit freaky actually! He knew a lot of things about me and he did this thing where he got me to write a wish on a piece paper, then screw up the paper and hold it in my hand, he then looked at my tongue and my eyes, then wrote EXACTLY what I had written on my paper. I gave him Bht100 for his troubles, but I wouldn't want to do that again, it freaks you out!

The hotel room is very nice, I'm sharing with Derek. Alex & Colby are in one room and Linda & Scott are in a hotel across the road from us. The boys were dying to go down to the beach so we got down there around 3pm, now you know I'm not really a beach person, but we chilled on the beach and went for a swim in the sea. It was good fun and we got some temporary tattoos done too, Linda had one on her ankle, Alex had a Popeye put on his bicep, Derek had the word 'Farang' put on his shoulder in Thai (it means white foreigner) and I had this thing put on my head (see pic). We had our lunch down on the beach, Linda got me some 'fish-n-chip', and they were delicious! I will be having more of that I'm sure!

We got back to the hotel for around 6pm and made plans for a night out. I finally managed to get on the power book and sort out some of my travelogues. I am nearly TWO WEEKS behind! It's going to take a while to catch up with all that! We met up around 8pm in Colby's room and then went on to the main bar/club strip in Patong. It wasn't all that and the Lady-boys were out in force, but we had a great night. They have this game at some of the bars where you have to try to hammer a nail into a piece of wood, the only problem is the hammer is a bit messed up (see pic), we moved on from the bars into a club but lost Colby & Alex somewhere along the way. They had a catwalk in the club for the dance show so we took that over (like you do), it was a great place with good music and an electric atmosphere. I got the DJ to play PMC, Derek even did some Bhangra on stage (see pic). We got back to the hotel around 4am, Colby & Alex were already knocked out in their room. I am not planning on doing much tomorrow, I really need to rest and try to shake the cold and give my voice a chance to recover. Sounds like a good day to catch up with travelogues too!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: