Goodbye Sri Lanka, and hello Thailand

Trip Start Sep 21, 2005
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Thailand  ,
Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Day 111 Mon 27th Feb 2006
Goodbye Sri Lanka, and hello Thailand
It rained a lot last night, so when I got up at 5am this morning the temperature was nice and cool. I got to the airport at 6am and there were a lot more people there than I had anticipated. I got checked in and made my way up to the departure gate. It seemed to take forever to board the flight, but then it always does, we left Colombo at 7.45am. I was lucky enough to get two seats to myself, unlike my Delhi to Colombo flight they had in-flight entertainment on this one. I saw 'An Unfinished Life', another J-Lo flick, this one was new (I didn't realise 'Monster-in-law' was 3 years old). The flight was three-and -a-half hours long and the time passed pretty quickly.

We landed in Bangkok at 12.30, it's much better arriving in new country during the day. I took my time coming out of the airport this time because I knew there was no-one standing outside with a name board for me. I took some money out from an ATM at the airport and made my way out to try and get a taxi. The hotel that I'm staying at had warned me not to take a taxi from inside and to use the taxi stand outside the airport. The guys inside were charging Bht 700 (that's Baht, you get 67 for a pound), and the hotel people said it should cost around Bht 250. I got to the taxi stand and showed the lady the direction I had, she said it would cost Bht 400. I tried to tell her I thought it was a bit too much but she was already dealing with the next victim! I put my stuff in the taxi and said to the driver I will pay what ever the meter say's, he said he wasn't going to use the meter and I had to pay Bht 400. I told him I didn't want to go without the meter on so took my stuff out of the taxi. I was a bit cheesed-off by now, I went back to the desk and told the lady that she was trying to rip me off and she ignored me, then I raised my voice and she re-wrote my ticket and I took the same taxi for Bht 250. What a mission, I had only been in the country 10 minutes! It's all a big scam, it happens everywhere.

Anyway, driving to the hostel I realised how huge this place is. It took about 40 minute to get here, but on the way, we were on an elevated motorway and you could see the whole of Bangkok (or at least I think it was). It nice here, more like home, the roads are nice AND clean (and big), the traffic is as mad as in any other big city I have been to. The hostel is way too nice for the money, in comparison to the places I have stayed in over the past few months. It's very clean, the room is huge, it has satellite TV, warm water and the ladies that run it are really nice. I think it's going to be a bit of a mission with the language thing, I am having serious trouble understanding the Thai version of English! I got here at 2pm, walked up the FOUR flights of stairs (that was hard work!) and got settled into my nice new CLEAN room. I took a WARM shower and went out side to try and find some lunch. There were lots of street stalls selling food, but I couldn't make out what they were selling, so I thought I'd best stay safe for the first day. The nearest SAFE place I could find was a Seven Eleven store. It was really nice to walk into the store, it was just like back home, they have everything we have. I just had a couple of Veg Burgers and got my self a 'thirst quenching' drink. I was looking forward to some authentic Thai food, but like I said, just playing it safe for now!

I got back to the hostel and crashed out, it was around 6pm by the time I came around. I got up and had another shower (just making the most of warm water!). I came down stairs to find the two ladies that run the place (May and Non) on the net, they told me I had 30 minute free per day with my room so I logged on too. I spoke to a friend from back home on MSN for ages, but I couldn't get into my e-mail for some reason. I met three girls from the States when I was on my way back up to my room. They have been here for a while, so I asked them about the street stalls selling food and pointed me in the direction of a GOOD place. It was only across the road from the hostel and I had mix-veg and rice, it was really really tasty. I would have had seconds, but that would have over done it! I came back to the hostel and stayed in the lounge area chatting with the American girls for ages. They have been travelling for about 6 months and been in India for most of it. They leave in the morning for Hong Kong, after a week there they fly home. It was gone midnight by the time I got up to my room. A long first day in Bangkok, I can already tell I'm going to like it here!
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: