Horton Plains, and the move to Kandy

Trip Start Sep 21, 2005
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Sri Lanka  ,
Thursday, February 23, 2006

Day 106 Wed 22nd Feb 2006
Horton Plains, and the move to Kandy.
So the 5am wake up call was a bit late this morning, I got a knock on the door at 5.20am. That gave me 10 minutes to get ready, more than enough at that time in the morning! Namaal was waiting for me in the reception, we went out to his brothers taxi, where I was introduced to an old guy from Japan (not as old as Mr. Miyaagi, but he was getting there). He did tell me what his name was but I couldn't even pronounce it, so there was no-way I would remember it. We drove out to Horton Plains and got there around 7am, we stopped along the way to see the sunrise but the cloud cover meant it wasn't that clear. Nimaal got me in to the Plains for the Lankan price, so I was chuffed about that. The three of us walked up through the beautiful park to the Worlds End. I finally got to see what all the fuss was about! It was basically a cliff edge at the top of the climb and it overlooked a velley, it was very beautiful but after yesterdays climb my legs were feeling the effects and the last thing I needed was another 3-hour walk! We stopped there for a while and then moved on to Baker's Fall, this was a water fall on the other side of the park. We stopped for a rest and took some pictures, the Japanese guy was really funny and he kept us both entertained. He told me loads about Japan, where to go, what to see and where to avoid. As usual I probably won't remember most of it but it passed the time well. Hortan Plains is a really nice, peaceful and beautiful place. I glad I went there, but my legs would probably disagree!!! We also got to see a deer, real up close! (see pic)

We came back to the hotel at 11.15am, I had a shower, got my stuff packed up, then Nimaal and his brother dropped me up to the train station (20 minutes away in another town). I paid them Rs2000 for the whole thing, I thought seeing as they had saved me on my entrance fee I should give them a little thank you present. I got my train ticket and the train was already on the platform, it left at 12.50pm. Nimaal came onto the train to see me off. I sat next to an old Lankan man, he was also going to Kandy, so he said he would help me with the train change (we had to change trains at one point). I thought the train journey would be smoother than the bus but it was worse, the bus just goes up and down but the train goes in every direction! There was some amazing scenery along the way (see vid) so I didn't mind the bumpy ride. We pulled into Kandy station at 5pm, everyone said it would only take 3 hours but it obviously took longer! The old man went off and I got a Tuk to bring me up to The Pink House (Nimaal's Auntie owns and run's it). I met Auntie, she said they had no rooms but because Nimaal had sent me she would sort something out for me. I put my bags down and went out for a wonder and to visit the Tooth Temple.

Up until I visited the temple, I thought it was called the Truth Temple, it's just the way everyone said the name, I guess. I went through the security check, left my shoes at the counter and made my way up to the front entrance. This guy came up to me and asked where I was from, when I told him England he said I had to pay an entrance fee. This took me by surprise, I mean I know you have to pay to get into most places but this was a Temple! Anyway, he said it would cost Rs500. A couple of guys from Australia walked in and came up to the counter, the guy behind the counter got talking to them and they told him they were working in the local hospital, training the Paramedics, the guy then let them go in for free! I had a few words with the guy about that (you don't need to know the details, but I'm sure you can guess), how can they have one set of rules for some people and another for the rest of us. I told him I didn't want to go in to his temple and walked off. Just as I got to the stairs he called me back and told me I could go in for free, what a Larry! I went in and had a look around, they had a good display that tells you about the history of the Buddha's Tooth and it's a nice place to visit, but Rs500, that's just wrong!

I went into town then to find an internet café, I managed to find a decent one after about 15 minutes. When I say decent I mean one where they actually know what speed the connection is at, if they don't know the speed, it means it's slow! I logged onto Skype and called home. I got back to the Pink House at 8pm, just in time for dinner. I didn't have a room to sleep in so Auntie put me a mattress on the floor and gave me a mosquito net, it was more than enough and was really tired from my early start so it was cool. Mike and Tilly didn't like Kandy much but I quite like it, it has a huge Lake and the Pink House is on the other side of the town, its only a 10 minute walk along the lake side to get to town and the weather is nice.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: