My last full day in Galle

Trip Start Sep 21, 2005
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Sri Lanka  ,
Sunday, February 19, 2006

Day 102 Sat 18th Feb 2006
My last full day in Galle
First of all I know yesterdays travelogue was really long, but a lot happened! To day I rolled out of bed at 11.30, and that was only because I remembered about the parcel I was supposed to send to Australia (the post office closed half day today). I got the parcel ready and all sealed up, then got a tuk-tuk to the main post office in town. I took the parcel up the counter where I had asked the guy yesterday about pricing. The first thing he said was he wanted to see what was inside the box, I know they are very security conscious here but that's a bit too far, don't you think? Anyway, I opened the box and he had a good rummage around, I wish I had put some dirty smelly socks in there (not that I have any like that!). He than told me to go out side the post office to a shop and buy some tape so I could seal up the box again, I was getting a bit cheesed off at this point. I went and did that, then he finally weighed the box. It was just under 5kg and this was going to cost nearly Rs5,000, now that's steep. I got him to send it via sea-mail for Rs1,940. I then had to go to another counter, buy the stamps (and yes, there were a lot of them) and put them on the box. I took the box back to the first Larry and after filling out two VERY detailed forms I managed to get it done! How much of a mission was that? When I came back and told Uma what had happened, she said I was lucky because normally they are really fussy (what, fussier than that!!!) and she has to take parcels a few times before they will accept it.

It was 1pm by the time I got back to the lodge. I had missed breakfast so lunch was next on the list. I was getting a bit tired of veg curries so Uma pointed me in the direction of a little restaurant in the Fort that does Pizza. A young lady ran it and the Pizza was delicious, I know it's only pizza but after three days of rice and curry it was NICE! After lunch I went to a jewellers in the fort. I didn't want to buy anything just wanted to get me ring and chain polished. The guy's at the shop new Affan and they did it for free, I'm liking all this free stuff, it doesn't happen very often out here.

Next stop today was the Internet café, I have got bang up to date with my travelogues (and about time too, I hear you cry). I also went onto Skypeout and called home, its really good because I have brought credit from them, and now I can make cheap calls to landlines from anywhere, to anywhere in the world.

I came back to the lodge and just chilled with the family for my last evening with them. Uma was trying to book me on a five-day tour of Lanka. It includes all travel by private taxi and accommodation with two meals a day. Because I would be on my own I would have to pay all the taxi charges, this meant the whole package was working out at £225 plus entrance fees to various places. Total around £275 or Rs47 575. Basically that's a lot of money out here so I declined the offer. Uma was nice enough to give me some names and numbers of places to stay and steer me in a good direction.

It's been a nice last day overall, this place is nice, calm and relaxing. The people here are wonderful, they all smile at you when you look at them. I can already say the Sri Lanka is going to be on my list of places to come back to. The weather is beautiful too, its very hot but the rain in the evenings makes the night a little more bearable.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: