Definitely my last day in Jalandhar!!!

Trip Start Sep 21, 2005
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of India  ,
Saturday, February 11, 2006

Cay 95 Sat 11th Feb 2006
Definitely my last day in Jalandhar!!!
I was I need of a bit of a lie in this morning so I got up at 10, everyone else was up and about early, getting ready for the Path. The plan was to stay for the opening ceremony then go to Jalandhar (definitely for the last time) and be back in Pind for as early as possible. When we got to the Gurdwara it was 11am, the ceremony was over by midday so after having Lungar I was ready to leave. Slight change of plan thought, My auntie wanted me to come back to Rurka after Jalandhar to say goodbye 'properly' (the India way!), meaning leave from home while everyone was there instead of the Gurdwara, she had a point I suppose.

Soma had gone off with Kenty's dad somewhere so I went to Jalandhar on the Bullet by my self. It was the best journey I have made to Jalandhar in a long while, the weather was beautiful and I went on the main GT road through Phagwara into Jalandhar, I know I should be taking it easy after what happened in Goa but I couldn't help but floor it the whole way, what a rush!!! I got into Jalandhar in about 45 minutes, now that's it quick! After having a bite to eat I went to Railway Road first, I went to the place where I had brought Jag's Dhol from to get myself a Dagga and Tilli (sticks for the Punjabi Dhol Drum). In the rush for leaving England, I forgot to bring mine with me and have been meaning to get a pair ever since I arrived here (yeah I know that's over 2 months ago, but I'm running on Indian timing!). Anyway after that I went to the shop in the Bazaar, I paid my bill, gave them the Mojey and said my goodbyes. I hope and pray that the package they send gets back to England in one piece and more importantly with all the contents intact!

I made my way over to Gauthams office next, this was a bit of a mission as most of the roads in Jalandhar had been cordoned off for a precession marking the beginning of a three day long celebration of the birth of Guru Ravidas Ji. Now I have seen celebrations for other Guru's birthdays before, but every time I see celebrations for Guru Ravidas's birthday its on a next (much bigger) level. I met Arun at the office and he told me the tickets he was sorting out for me were in a waiting list, this means there is no guarantee of a seat. I told him to cancel the reservation and now it looks like we might be going on a bus instead (not looking forward to that, I have had my fill of Indian busses). I stopped there for a while, everyone there was engrossed in the India-Pakistan cricket match, having said that so was the rest of Jalandhar and I'm sure the whole of India for that matter. I had more pressing matters to deal with like getting back to Pind so I could start packing and sort out how I'm going to get to Delhi tomorrow. I said my farewells to them and made my way back to Rurka.

When I came upto Phagwara everything just stopped, the police was diverting traffic but I just went through the road block (like a proper Desi) anyway I got about a minute down the road and realised why. The precession that was in Jalandhar had made it way down there, that's a good 30 kilometres away (I think). The precession was HUGE, it just went on forever, I tried to get through the crowds without hitting anyone, I managed to do it but the 5 minute stretch took well over 20 minutes, and that was only due to my exceptional driving skill (not blowing my own trumpet, just stating fact).

By the time I got back to Rurka it was getting dark. I said goodbye to both my aunties (one of which was going back to the UK) and there families, it was around 7pm by now and they would not let me bring the bike back saying it was too late so I brought their car back to Pind, which is all-good, but it means I have to go back there tomorrow to drop it off along with Soma's mum. Why does everything have to be so complicated around here?

I got back to Pind at 8, its been a very tiring day and I could have flaked out as soon as we came into the house but I needed to start packing. Gagan was around for a bit of moral support , which is just as well because Larry (Soma) went to bed at 8.30. We finished packing at around 11pm, I still have way too much stuff, I don't know where it all comes from! Oh and I got my sleeping sheet made. We have decided to take a bus to Delhi from Nakodar, it leaves at 7pm and gets to Delhi around 2am, its not the most ideal timing but it will have to do. Just to put the icing on the cake it a Punjab Roadways bus, cant wait for that one! I had phone calls from Mum and the girls today, I got in trouble for forgetting my mums birthday (sorry mum, the card is on the way!). What a day, now I'm definitely ready to flake out!!!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: