What a journey!

Trip Start Oct 09, 2009
Trip End Jan 21, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Thailand  ,
Saturday, October 24, 2009

My noodle soup awaited me as I strolled outside for breakfast in my hostel. I had to dash up to my room, grab my bag then get on a skanky bus that I feared that was going to take us all the way to Bangkok! After about 30 minutes when we were still in Siem Reap the conductor explained that we would have to get in a taxi (paid for by them) to the Thai border where another bus would collect us and take us to Bangkok. I got in a taxi with two londoners (city bankers) ,one of whom knew Louis Walsh, and an American English Teacher who was 24 and worked in Bangkok and was heading home. After educating Chris (the American) about all aspects of English life we got to Poipet the grotty border town full of Casinos. We showed our passports to Cambodian passport control and walked the half kilometre to the Thai border through no man's land. When I got to Thai immigration the officer turned me away and said: "you have to go back to Cambodia to get an exit stamp". The other guys were already through but Chris shouted "we'll wait for you". I ran back to Cambodia, pushed in at the front of the queue annoying some French people and said "please give me an exit stamp". I then ran back to Thailand and got through easily. The next complication was that we all had to wait for about 3 hours in a dirty cafe waiting for our bus to be called. Luckily we spent most of the time chatting to each other so it didn't matter but I was relieved to see my bus arrive. I was drifting off to sleep when I dutch guy came to sit across the aisle from me and explained how he was completely stoned all of the time he was in Cambodia and also that he was a social worker back in The Netherlands!!

The bus journey went on for what seemed like forever, the scenery slowly passing by. From what I could tell, Thailand was one step up from Vietnam in terms of development. It actually had motorways rather than just wide roads and people obeyed the traffic lights.

By the time we got to Bangkok it was 6 and I didn't have the energy to find my way to my hotel by public transport. I just hopped in a cab and travelled about 5km but it took about an hour. I checked in at my amazing hotel which even had a mini kitchenette! Afterwards I went for an explore around the surrounding area which seemed to consist of street markets and massive department stores. I was so exhausted that I went back with a microwave meal (sticky rice and something) and went straight to sleep.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: