Getting your China visa in Hong Kong

Trip Start Jan 30, 2007
Trip End Dec 31, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of China  ,
Thursday, February 26, 2009

One option, if you plan to stay in China for a while, is to get your China visa in Hong Kong.

This can work out easier and cheaper than getting a visa at your home country (particularly if you are already traveling), and it is often quicker and cheaper also.

It could also work out better than using a Chinese agency, if you are already in China (though at the moment, F visas are only given out for a short time, not the 6 months and one year you can get through an agency in China).

The drawbacks of going to Hong Kong are:
its expense - not cheap to live or eat or travel, compared to China
in summer it is very humid and rainy

not paying too high a fee to agents for getting a visa

Getting there

Could cost from 1000 - 2500 y to get from China, depending on where you are. Train or sleeper bus is the cheapest, but flights to Guangzhou and Shenzhen, just across the border, can be discounted up to 80%, meaning it is comparable to train/bus.

How long

Most visa applications can be processed overnight. Get in before noon with your form and photo, and you should be able to pick up within 24 hours from either the consulate or agency.

from $150 HK$ at consulate for single entry, 4 days processing to 850 HK$ with consulate for express 6-12 month; figure on around 470 HK$ for overnight double entry visa.

Visas issued

With a letter from a government agency in China, you might be able to get a 6 month multiple entry visa, otherwise a one month-double entry (giving you 6 months in total, with one trip outside China) will be given.

Agencies to use

Japan Travel or Forever Bright for L visa (and maybe F visa) - or consulate for business F visa (this may change as JT and FBT used to be able to give out F visas easily, and may still, even without documentation) Both agencies require you to visit to fill in a form and hand over photos. You pay on pick up.

Japan Travel
Tel: +852 2368 7767 Fax: +852 2724 8551
OFFICE HOUR: Monday-Friday 08:30-18:00 * Close on Saturday, Sunday and Public holiday
Room509-513, 5/F, East Ocean Center, 98 Granville Road,Tsim Sha Tsui East, Kowloon, Hong Kong
It is impossible yet to get a multiple (F) business visa.
You can through our company for apply 1month 30days single-entry (L) tourist
visa and 2months double entry (L) tourist visa (have to go out of china
every 30days).
If you come before 1300PM - pick up visa on next day at 1430pm
If you come after 1300pm- pick up visa two working days later at 1430pm
For the visa application just bring passport and one passport photo.

Forever Bright
MTR - stop at the Tsim Sha Tsui station and then take the exit P1 out and follow the direction towards the Nikko Hotel or Grandstanfor Harbour View Hotel when you reach there you will see the Duty Free Shop in the China Chem Plaza.New Mandarin Plaza is just next to it. Our office is at the Tower B on the 9th floor, Room 916-917.
852-2369 3188
To apply for 6 month multiple entry (F) visa, the applicant should meet the followings:

1. Your valid actual passport ( the passport must have at least (6) months validity left before expiration and at least one blank page left in it)
2. Two additional passport photos ( black & white or color is acceptable )
3. Your current Chinese F visa is still valid and your duration of stay still has over (20) days left
4. Provide the names and address of the company currently you are working for in China,

Details of your home address ( in capital letters ) and telephone numbers in China as well as your email address if you have.

Remark: the address you provide should be filled out completely and correctly because after the visa has been issued we will send by mail or express to this address you provide.

(5) Applicant should not be currently holding his/her residence registration or ID card in China

Application process for 6 months multiple entry visa

1. First applicant should send his /her passport with two photos and all the information required above to our office by mail or express.
2. Visa processing takes (12) working days from the day we receive your passport and your application.
3. After the visa has been issued please settle your payment by your local bank transfer and send the payment receipt of the bank by fax or by email to us. We may not mail back your passport till we are notified.
4. Price for (6) months multiple entry (F) visa is RMB2,300.00 service charge. For British or American passports additional surcharges will be added.

Consulate - expect long queues at opening times, pick up a number on arriving upstairs

7th Floor, Lower Block, China Resources Building,
No.26, Harbor Road, Wanchai, Hong Kong SAR
Office Hours
Monday to Friday (except Hong Kong public holidays,)
9:00-12:00 14:00-17:00

1, Tel- Enquiry
24 hour Recorded Visa Information Service: 852-34132300
Live Answering Telephone: 852-34132424 (available at 10:00-11:00am, 3:00-4:00pm on workdays)
2,Fax: 852-34132312
3, Email:
4,Website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the P.R.China:

Single visa
Double visa
Multiple (6 months)
Multiple (12/24/36 months)
Additional Charge for Expedited Service (Individual Visa)
Express Service
HK$150 /person
Rush Service
HK$250 /person
1. L visa (for tourism or visiting relative)
I--For tourism:
Under some circumstances, the applicants may be required to provide financial proof, a copy of Chinese hotel booking and return flight ticke.
For applicants who are going to Tibet, an entry permit issued by Tibetan Tourist Bureau is required. (Fax number of Tibetan Tourist Bureau: 0086-891-6834632; Telephone number:0086-891-6834313).
II--For visiting relative in China
Proof of kinship is required, but the applicants who were born in China (including Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan) as shown in the passport are exempt from this proof.
2. F visa for business and visit
(1) Visa Notification Form, or an letter issued by the company he/she is employed and the registration license of this company, or an invitation letter from the mainland company ant the registration license of this company.
(2) Under some circumstances, the applicants may be required to provide financial proof, a copy of Chinese hotel booking and return flight ticket booking.
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


rosalie on

hi! i want to ask if i can get china visa in hk.i i have been work in hk on 2005-2007 i've been in china my passport is new and i want to visit in china again but i can not get a visa here in phil and in hk? give me some advice.thanks!

Mia on

hello, my country allows me to go to china with one month tourist visa can i
extend my visa in hong kong if i want to stay longer?

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: