Go Red Sox! (but they didn't) & Niagara Falls

Trip Start Jul 16, 2010
Trip End Aug 15, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of Canada  , Ontario,
Thursday, August 12, 2010

(Tom) I'm blogging again because we went to another baseball game today.  When we woke up, we all did our part and we barely finished the sign in time to get on the bus from Milton to Toronto.  We talked a lot on the bus ride since the bus ride was over an hour.  Once we started getting close to Toronto, we all started looking for the city and the CN Tower.  The CN Tower is right above Rogers Centre (Blue Jays Stadium).  Dad saw the CN Tower first and we all got excited because we were going to our first Red Sox away game.  We got into Toronto and into the city.  We went by the Rogers Centre and Mom asked "Is that the Rogers Centre, who plays there?"  I told her that that was where we were going and she realized what she was talking about.  The roof was closed when we drove by the stadium.  We were a good long walk away from the stadium as the bus let us off at Union Station.  Mom was going to the bathroom but Dad said that he thought it could wait!  A 15-20 minute walk ended up with us looking at the entrances to the CN Tower and the Rogers Centre.  We went into the CN Tower café to see if there was a bathroom and Darren and I ended up playing an arcade game.  Getting into the stadium was the easiest thing I’ve ever done.  Mom and Dad had the tickets, gave them to the lady, and we all walked in.  The stadium was amazing.  It had three decks and we were in the bottom one, which was field level.  We also found out that it was Camp Day today.  That would explain the kids screaming “LET’S GO BLUE JAYS!”  We saw a line forming down by the Red Sox dugout baseline and we knew everyone was looking for autographs.  We went down there and saw somebody signing down closer to the dugout than where we were.  We were positioned along the line in mid right field.  We didn’t know who was signing at first and then we looked back and saw Clay Buchholz coming down the line in our direction.  Clay Buchholz has the best Earned Run Average in the AL.  His record is 13-5 and he got a win yesterday.  I got him to sign my Bronson Arroyo signed hat and we got him to sign our sign.  He signed right in between the words “nobody” and “ever”.  Terry Francona was signing a little bit but he stayed right by the dugout. We got into our seats which were situated in the middle of a bus trip from Maine and New Hampshire.  10-15 minutes after we got settled in, some people came and said that these seats were theirs.  We’d made a mistake and parked our behinds a section from where we were supposed to be.  We moved over and the game started.  The pitching matchup was John Lackey for the Red Sox and Brad Mills for the Blue Jays.  The starting lineups were announced, the national anthems were played (“The Star Spangled Banner” and “O Canada”), and the Blue Jays took the field. 

The following content is rated G and is for people that did not see this game on their televisions.  The game started out slow for each team.  In the first two innings, Brad Mills had four strikeouts and Jarrod Saltalamacchia hit a double in the second.  In the top of the third inning, Ellsbury singled, Lowrie walked, then they stole second and third.  Victor Martinez hit a sacrifice fly to score Ellsbury from third and bring Lowrie to third.  Ortiz hit a RBI single that scored Lowrie.  It was now 2-0 BOS!  In the top of the fourth, Saltalamacchia was robbed of another double by a spectacular play by the third baseman Edwin Encarnacion.  In the bottom of the fourth, Jose Bautista walked to lead off and ended up scoring when Adam Lind grounded into a double play.  In the fifth, with the Red Sox up by one, Jed Lowrie led off and hit a solo home run to right-center field.  Red Sox fans went bonkers.  The group next to us was an older group.  They cheered with all their might.  They even started a “Let’s go Red Sox” cheer that turned into a Blue Jays cheer.  After Victor Martinez struck out, David Ortiz hit a line drive home run that cleared the right field fence.  Big Papi trotted around the bases like he’d done 25 times before.  That was the end of the day for Brad Mills.  In the bottom of the sixth, Fred Lewis doubled and scored when Bautista grounded into a double play.  It was 4-2 Red Sox after 6 innings.  In the top of the 8th inning, Scott Downs came in  for Jason Frasor as Toronto’s 4th pitcher.  The Sox had two outs in the 8th when Saltalamacchia hit his second double of the game and scored on Darnell McDonald’s triple the next batter.  In the top of the ninth, Kevin Gregg (yes, Uncle Gregg, that’s really his name) came in to pitch and he shut the Red Sox down.  We were up 5-2 heading into the bottom of the ninth.  With Papelbon warm in the pen, I thought he’d come out right then.  Francona decided to stick with Lackey who had gone 8 strong innings already.  He was starting to get tired since he’d already pitched 90 pitches.  His ninety-second pitch was in the zone to MLB home run leader Jose Bautista and he drove it a long way to deep left-center field.  The crowd was already on its feet when McDonald had to watch the rest of the ball’s trip. Like at a Maine hockey game, a fog horn blew as he rounded the bases.  It was 5-3.  Papelbon came in with the 4th most saves in the American League and he only had a two run lead to work with now.  The fans behind the Red Sox dugout (US!) gave Lackey a hand as he walked into the dugout with a potential win.  Most teams are used to Papelbon because almost all of what he throws is fastballs.  The first batter that Papelbon faced was Vernon Wells.  The first pitch from Papelbon was crushed on a line drive off the wall in right field.  It was a double.  Toronto fans were on their feet and screaming their heads off.  I had to stand up to know what was going on.  Once I knew, I sat back down and wrote the play in my notebook.  After Wells, Adam Lind came up.  He was the potential tying run and Papelbon pitched a fastball and Lind smoked it into center field.  The base hit scored Wells from second and put the tying run at first.  DeWayne Wise pinch ran at first and stole second right away.  He got to third when Hill hit one off of Papelbon for an infield single.  Travis Snider struck out swinging and Edwin Encarnacion stepped in.  He got another fastball from Papelbon and he hit a game-tying double to right-center.  5-5 was the score and a pinch hitter stepped up.  Lyle Overbay had been good for a long time.  He’s starting to slow down as his age gets up.  He pinch hit and there was a mound visit.  Francona told Papelbon to walk him.  They went the safe way by intentionally walking him.  Bases loaded, one out, and Fred Lewis stepped in.  He was one for three before he hit a liner to fairly deep center field.  Ellsbury caught it for out number two but he couldn’t get it home in time.  Hill scored, the fog horn blew for the second time in the inning and Blue Jays won.  It was all very disappointing. 

The following content is still rated G but non-baseball fans may start actually reading now.
  We took the train back to the RV, and rode to Niagara Falls.  We got to see it being lit up in different colors.  Tomorrow we’ll get to see it up close and personal when we go on the Maid of the Mist!  Whoever does the blog for tomorrow will have more detail on the setting of Niagara Falls. We’re keeping our NESN sign because Clay Buchholz signed it.

80 Miles, avg. speed 42.8 mph, travel time 1:52, stopped time 0:15, total miles for trip 7,952, plus 25 miles by bus, 25 miles by train
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


king of the johnson mill rd on

Tom has a future career as a play-by-play announcer!

stacey morneault on

I missed watching the game on tv...but after reading this I didn't a thing - felt like I was at the game!!

Nana & Bump on

Just a couple days left before your "GR8TRIP" comes to an end. Thanks Kevin, Thanks Jana, Thanks Tom, Thanks Darren, for letting us ride along. We enjoyed all the descriptive blogs & photos. IT WAS FUN !

mandy on

we looked for you guys! i'm so jealous!!!! you're having the most amazing trip!!!

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: