Fun and emotion

Trip Start Mar 31, 2011
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Sri Lanka  , Southern,
Sunday, May 1, 2011

The last weekend and the last week in Sri Lanka both emotional and amazing, so I’ll start from the Thursday evening which is where the journey began to Arugam Bay (aka A-Bay). Okay so after we had been to the orphanage on the morning we went home and packed for A-Bay, I couldn’t be bothered to think so I threw nearly all my stuff in my bag. We met a Austrian girl called Vera at the Orphanage and invited her along, so we met her at the main bus station in Galle at 3pm. From Galle we got a bus to Matara which is only about a hour half journey up the coast (very pleasant). From there we had to find the 7 hour bus to Monoragala which was packed I happened to pick the seat which ended up having to very butch men either side safe to say I couldn’t move, eventually the bus started to empty and I could go and join the others next to the loudest speaker phone of sri lankan music HEADACH!! , but actually the journey went fast. Monoragala is just a little town on the was to A-Bay where we stopped over night to split up the long journey. The nights stay in the hotel room was soo funny we squeezed 4 of us in a three person room, 3 girls on the double bed with a mossy net which wouldn’t fit, and Alan with his single bed with a mozzy net botch job, there was some form of poo in the bathroom and yeh!!. So with Amanda to the left of me and Vera to the right I was freeking hot, with Amanda on the edge of the bed she had a lot of trouble with the mozzy net which followed her in to her dream we were all awoke by her shouting “get me out of here” and the occasional groan for help. (so funny). The morning finally came and we were on the bus to Pontilla (or something along those lines) the bus took us through part of the national part where I saw an elephant in the distance, this bus only took 1hr half. Before we knew it we had checked in to the beach hut and were chilling out at gecko (a very nice café) with a lemon shake (yes Char a lemon shake!) it was the start of a great time in A-Bay! ……………………………

The rest of Friday was spent surfing down at whiskey point but know to us as Biscuit point as that’s what it sounded like everyone was saying (obviously not!! And that’s why Alan couldn’t find it in his travel book!!). Saturday was the best day ever we woke at 5.30am to get down to “Biscuit” point before it got busy and also because Amanda and Vera had a surf lesson at 6. We surfed for 3 hours so until 9 and then went for some much needed breakfast heading back in to the waves for another 2 half hours. Heading back to the hut at 2ish tierd and burnt we found our stray Trish who came to join us after travelling up north (co volunteer). She had met two guys called jack and nick at the hut whilst waiting so we all went to gecko for a re-hydration drink, and then for a walk to the main surfing point where we sat for a while before going back to the hut for some food and drinks. Saturday night we had a small party (every thinks small in Sri Lanka) with small beers and small games. All the partying was fun until the next morning when we had to wake at 7.30 to take our 12 hour journey home, the most painful journey ever. The morning stared with te sounds of “I need water I cant move with out water” Amanda, “o my god omg I’m going to die” me. We took the same route home but no stopping this time, 2hr bus through the national park where we ere going delusional and then 6 hr bus journey to Matara where I had to stnd half the way, and then 1and hallf hour to Galle where I slept the whole way.

The last week we were joined by more volunteers Kerry from Singapore and Lucy from Liverpool, very nice very nice. They joined me and Amanda in our timetable so we could show them the ways around. The school holidays have now finished so all the children were back at school, whilst the others went to the Nursery and some of the schools I chose just to go to the orphanage as I wanted to spend as much time as I could with my babies. I did however go to the street kids school as I love it there, so much fun we did crafts and games. My last day at the orphanage wasn’t nice as I didn’t want to leave them and I wanted to take will smith with me.

The evenings had different activities every night. Monday we went to yoga class my first yoga class I’ll have you know, it was very funny and took a lot of my immature self control as every one was sooo serious there ha !!. At one point of the lesson we had to go in to a crab pose thing, well I couldn’t get in to that so the tutor man came along and pulled me in to it, great now how he hell do I get back down (I think it’s a you had to be there moment). Tuesday me Kerry and Lucy went in to town to pick up some bits and bobs, and also to find a café for Kerry to have a coffee. Wednesday we had a small party at the house, a nice meal a small drink and a final game of donkey with Ros and Trish, they left for Colombo on the Thursday and flew out Friday. Thursday night we headed down to unawatuna where the girls went to do yoga and me and Alen had an eventfully time playing table tennis and battle ship. We then met Janaka in Unawatuna beach resort for a meal and also to meet the woman who made the bracelets I sold at home for them. Thursday was my last night in Sri lanka I was picked up at 11.30 pm for a very long journey to Thailand………………………………...........................................
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: