Work, lion beer and a beautiful beach

Trip Start Mar 31, 2011
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Sri Lanka  ,
Thursday, April 21, 2011

I'm getting so behind with my blogging, there is always so much to do and say.
The week meaning the week after Adam's peak was more of a doss, because of the new year celebrations all the school we had worked at in the first week had holiday, so it basically left the orphanage. It was really nice just going to the orphanage every day getting to know the children and there faces, and seeing them get excited when the volunteers turn up. I can see how much just being there for the children, playing with them, holding them while they go to sleep, makes such a difference. The woman at the orphanage don't have the time to play and look after them all the time so its easy for the children to get ignored. I cant remember if I said this on my last blog but there is a little boy I want to adopt who looks like will smith he has the cutest smile and probably the only baby there who I haven't seen cry. I walk to and from the orphanage every day, one day I bought 20 bananas for the children and now every time I walk past they offer me bananas. On the Monday evening the other volunteers and I went for a chillax down the beach and went to a cafe which do cheeky little chocolate brownies!! mmmm !!! we also got trapped by a monsoon so we had to dive in to another cafe for a cup of tea, there are many types to choose from I chose one that was good for my kidneys or so it said!! I think it was potato juice!!. Tuesday night we went out to celebrate Rosaline being at the project as shes leaving very soon, it was such a good night. Wednesday night Janaka took us all out for a meal at the most amazing restaurant, it was situated on a big hill which looked over the whole of galle,  the food was perfecto!!!!!.
Thursday was an amazing day, the Hindu and Buddhist new years- Aurudu. We spent the day with Janaka and his family we felt so honored to be apart of it. The first ceremonial act of the new year was the lighting of the hearth, a clay pot filled with coconut milk, the hearth gets lite at a certain time changing each year depending on the astrology. Rice cooked in coconut milk symbolizes birth and fertility, this food is also used on other special occasions. When the coconut milk boils it is good luck if the bubbles fall north (luckily it did), the person lighting the fire also has to look north. After the food gets prepared for the meal which is ate at a certain time, before the children can eat the have to complete a small piece of home work as this will bring good fortune to them. The family also say words of worship before eating the face north to do so. After the meal Janaka and his family went to visit their elders as this is also tradition, gifts are also exchanged on this day mainly clothes, Janaka and his wife had also bought us a new item of clothing. Later that evening the family had returned home and more family were turning up, it was time for games. We played games which had been played at the nurses and also a few more which we thought up too. One of the game we were introduced to was insane, there was one sheet of newspaper on the floor two partners which had to dance on this piece of paper and then after a few minute the paper would get folded in half, luckily i was with sandali (one of janakas daughters) we made it to one foot to balance on (funny times).
Friday we woke up very tierd as the celebrations didn't finish until midnight and we had the orphanage in the morning too.
The weekend was spent in Marissa a little backpacker village an hour coastal bus ride to the south, we arrived here on Friday night. Marissa was beautiful we spent the whole of Saturday on the beach and playing in the sea, the waves were mental the biggest shore dump ever but sooooo much fun !!!!. On the Sunday we chilled out on the beach in the morning and then went in to the local town Weligama to find a place which rents out surf boards, me and alan went for a cheeky surf. Then around 4pm we hopped on the bus back to Galle when we arrived home mootoo had cooked us up yet another amazing meal. Mootoo is the house chef he cooks to perfection, his family live further up north and he rarley gets to see them for paying to go home is a problem.
all in all a very good week!!!.......
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: