Arrival and decision making! Do I dont I Do I dont

Trip Start Mar 31, 2011
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Sri Lanka  ,
Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Hey everyone,
Okay so the flight over here went really well no last minute madness what so ever, in fact the opposite. The plane flew from heathrow to Bahrain which was pretty standard and then to Sri lanka which was fun. Whilst on the second plane I was sitting next to a really funny guy I would explain why but its a "you had to be there moment". I also got talking to a girl called Tia who was also heading to Hikkuduwa too the only difference being she had booked a taxi (bonus) she asked if I wanted to share and split the cost. So I did as waiting in the airport for 2 hours for the bus's to start running and the sun to come up, and then get a bus to Colombo and then to Hikkuduwa just seemed like madness. The drive to Hikkuduwa was 3 hours. When we arrived I walked round finding the cheapest place to stay, I ended up with a room which opened on to the beach no Joke AMAZING.
The first day I was a little bit emotional and also the second feeling jet lagged and overwhelmed by sun and Culture. My days in Hikkaduwa were certainly spent melting on the beach, factor 50 all the way. On my last night in Hikkaduwa I met 4 Canadians who were staying in the rooms next to me we shared the most amazing curry ever, of which the lady who owns the guest house cooked for us. The next day me and Caroline (one of the Canadians) went in to town to buy a coconut Caroline was craving one and I had never had one before so this day was my lucky day. We asked a guy who was selling coconut's how much one was he said 130RP but I know that was a lie so we carried on walking and went in to the vegetable market where we got a coconut for 30RP (difference!). That same day we went to the moon stone mine which was interesting, but the highlight was on the way back when we spotted the biggest turtle we had ever seen. The Canadians offered to give me a ride in to Galle as they were heading the same way, so I took the opportunity and I'm glad I did as not only did they take me in to Galle they also found the house I'm staying at which I tell you is not easy when all signs are written in Sri Lankan.
  I will be staying in Galle until the end of my trip in Sri Lanka as I am volunteering, working in an orphanage and teaching in various places. You may of heard that I was not coming here but I changed my mind and have spoken to the other volunteers who were also on a tourist visas, I'm soooo glad that I changed my mind too. When I first arrived at the house I was greeted by Janaka the project manager, he is such a nice, caring man. The other volunteers and I are staying at Janakas house which is amazing, my shower has no ceiling so I can get a sun tan and watch the monkey play whilst in the back ground I can hear words of worship being spoken on a Tani. I'm sharing my room with an american called Amanda we have a pet lizard/ gecko thing called Alberto in our room. 
  Tuesday my first day of volunteering was spent at the orphanage in the morning  and the community centre in the afternoon. Wednesday we were at the street kids school in the morning and teaching trainee nurses some english in the afternoon. Thursday we were at the elders home in the morning and with the nurses again in the afternoon. Friday we were just at the nursery.
    Working with the kids at the orphanage was sooo much fun because they are all sooo sweet, but it is also very sad to see what little thy have. At the orphanage they have a system and nothing ever goes out the system for example playing is 10-11, food 11- 11.30, wash 11.30, drink 12. I was there one day for 3 hours and didn't see the woman give any of the babies a drink. The children under 1 never go outside they are put in a play pen which consists of a concrete floor, chipped paint walls and 4 toys between 15 babies. There's a baby which has the face of will smith, and another one looks like Benjamin button. We think there is something wrong with Benjamin as he looks old, skinny, finds it hard to swallow food, and his legs are stiff. Deluka is another little one she is probably one of the smallest most adorable little girls I have ever seen. Changing nappies is what I would call a tricky subject as I have never changed on before, I am now a pro after changing about a million! some having heave moment eww!!. I can not take photos in the orphanage as its against laws, so as the weeks go on I shall explain it a bit more.
  Teaching the trainee nurses has been soo much fun, playing games mostly and getting them to talk. In one class there is 72 students, me and Amanda were pooping ourselves about it. We split the class in to two groups and did some icebreakers which I have to tell, you were a SUCCESS!. We then got the whole class back together and played charades, it was soo funny (another you had to be there moment!!).
  The street kids school is one of my most favourite places to go, the kids are sweet and the teacher is amazing always smiling and really really good with the kids. The class ranges in ages from 3 -14 and is based in a very poor part of Galle. The teacher was telling us about some of the children, one child's mother hung herself, many of the children's parents are drug addicts or in jail,  some simple just live on the streets and a few are just living in a poor family. Whilst we were at the school we did some stories, arts and crafts and played games, doing this we found out how got there english was the teacher has taught them well.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: