Pumping Koh Phayam

Trip Start Dec 30, 2006
Trip End Mar 15, 2007

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Hornbills Bungalows

Flag of Thailand  ,
Sunday, February 25, 2007

Hi all,

We arrived here after a mammoth few days on the road - planes, automobiles, buses and boats allowed us to finally reach this magical destination. We flew down from Chaing Mai via Bangkok to Phuket. We were forced to stay a night in Phuket town (a fate that no one would ever wish on anyone), before jumping on the early bus heading north to Ranong. This trip took us 5 and a half hours up the east coast of Thailand to the Burmese/Thai border. From there we jumped off the bus and onto a ferry which took us the last two hours to Koh Payam.

Nath met us at the ferry along with a giant sign welcoming us to Koh Payam (a few of the letters were missing but you got the point), behind that was downtown KP. We didn't stick around mind, we jumped on scooters and hurtled towards our final resting place, Aow Yai beach on the other side of the island. KP is the proud owner of two roads (footpaths - there are no cars), a school, some shops and three resorts that have 24 hour power - we were not in one of those fancy places. Nath and Kat had been here for about 10 days already and had booked us into a fantastic place called Hornbills. We had a beautiful bungalow, 30m back from the beach, plus our own little mascot, Spotty. We were introduced to our accomodation by riding up the beach (as thats as far as the road would take us), walking up the sand through the trees and there you have it!

For the next few days we did nothing of any great importance. Keeping up with the local gossip was first on the list, followed by eating, snorkelling, eating then meeting for drinks swiftly followed by dinner. Nath had taken his role of 'Mrs Mangle' very seriously and was able to fill us in on 'Hank' the writer from San Fran, 'Package' the old guy who never spoke but had a huge package, 'Tank' the old guy who maintained a body like mine beacuse of his insistance on daily exercise (he was 75) to name but a few of these characters. Each morning we were greeted with a pristine 3km long white sandy beach. Temperatures soared into to the 'Really bloody hot', so activity during the middle of the day was all but non-existant.

On the Sunday, it was my 26th birthday! What a place to celebrate. We woke up, spoke to home and Granddad. Had breakfast and read on the balcony for a few hours. Then headed over to Nath and Kat's for lunch. Went for a snorkel and a swim in the pristine waters, looking over to Burma. In the afternoon we all headed to Cafe de Cool and enjoyed beer and pina coladas whilst the sun went down. Then onto dinner which was a seafood BBQ. I was then suprised to find a birthday cake (thanks team) after dinner followed by more Chang beers. There was another birthday there too, so Silvi from Germany and I celebrated with a mix of Motley Crue, Gunners and the Napolean Dynamite soundtrack (my choice of music obviously).

It's Monday and it's time for us to leave. We left early for the morning ferry, saying our fond farewells to Nath and Kat. We'll be seeing them soon we hope back home. 


Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: