Trip Start Oct 03, 2008
Trip End Sep 06, 2009

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Ubud Terrace

Flag of Indonesia  , Bali,
Monday, November 24, 2008

We decided to head to Ubud for a few days to get out of the sun for a bit.  The first day we arrived, we went to Monkey Forest, which was very cool.  Anyone who purchased bananas at the front to feed the monkeys didn't make it but 5 feet from the entrance.  One monkey climbed up this girl's skirt to get a banana...scared her half to death.  Darren sat down after walking around the forest and a monkey climbed on his back, another one followed.  Pretty funny...

We took a bike tour the next day.  Our guide drove us through the countryside and we had breakfast overlooking Mt. Batur.  There were 3 Australians and 2 other Americans from California on our Bike Baik tour.  Our next stop was a Balinese coffee plantation.  They showed us various fruits grown there and how they roast the coffee beans.  We also learned about a special coffee bean that is used from the poop of a fox.   The fox eats the bean and goes through it's digestive track, comes out through its poop as a whole bean and it's supposed to be better tasting!!'s also very expensive coffee.  We got to taste various coffees and teas...not the poop bean coffee though.  After that, we took a downhill bike tour through rice fields, learned how they grow rice.  We saw many children on our ride with big smiles on their faces all yelling "Hello, hello"...  Two of the Australians on our tour had candy for them.  As we're on our way downhill, Kristi ran through some cinders with her bike and put on the front brakes instead of the rear and flew off the bike.  The bike happened to have the opposite brake system as her bike at home.  She walked away with some minor cuts.  No worries... We ended our tour with lunch at our guide's cousins home.  All in all, it was a nice tour. 

We wanted to hike one of the volcanoes nearby while we were in Ubud so we found some info and set it up.  The volcano is called Ganung Agung (Ganung means mountain) and it is the tallest and most sacred mountain on Bali.  We had a driver pick us up at midnight and he drove us to our starting point.  We started at 2am with our guide and our headlamps.  We started in the jungle and then the climb got pretty steep up the volcano.  Our guide, Ketut, told us it would take at least 3 hours to hike up the mountain.  We got up there in about 3 1/2 hours, just in time for sunrise.  It was a very difficult climb, straight up the volcano with no switchbacks.  It was absolutely beautiful at the top and we were able to see everything before the clouds rolled in.  The way back down was pretty treacherous and VERY hard on the knees.  Darren's knees recovered well.
Ubud was a pretty neat town; full of art and had a different vibe.  We enjoyed our stay here. 

Off to Candidasa, another beach town. 
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


callmeace on

found a turd in my coffee other day
You know how you was talking about the coffee made from poop. I was pretty sure somebody had gone and stuck a dog turd in my thermos the other day. This stuff you're sending me on the computer about how coffee is made from fox turds helps ease my mind some but the turd in my thermos didn't look like no fox or what have you. It was like German Shepard or something.

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: