New years in Brazil

Trip Start Oct 07, 2010
Trip End Mar 13, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of Brazil  ,
Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Pictures of large diversity of eyes are here:

We left Rio around 4pm and the 3 hour drive turned into  bit more of a 7 hour ordeal, which was certainly improved by the drive going through some seriously spectacular parts.
We arrived around 10pm and the initial plan to stay in 2 different houses fell through when somehow one of the houses turned into a 14 person live-in with kids and grand-ma's and general chaos. Fortunately the core group was kept together by some negotiating on who stayed where, meaning that Travis, myself, Ronaldo and Andre were in one place close to the clubs and Guilherme spent plenty of time with us as well.  
Mareseis can be described as the 2nd biggest beach party town after Florianopolis. It's one of many beaches along the north coast between Rio and Sao Paulo and was truly gorgeous with the 2km long beach surrounded by luscious green hills. There is one enormous club and 3 large places, making the party to apartment ratio huge. The town could do with a serious improvement of the roads, transport and traffic design (mud roads, pot holes and huge traffic snarls) yet it kept the other infrastructure like water, sewerage and power working well. The whole coastline apparently gets over 2m visitors around the New Year period, making any WA boxing day heading Down South traffic with nothing to compare. 
The first night we went to Sirena, the very large club. The huge queues to get in (over an hour to enter and an hour to leave) were frustrating, the reason is at they have to give you a card each that you get them to swipe when ordering drinks (with a minimum spend required) so that it's a simple bill at the end. All fine and good unless everyone arrives and leaves at once which is the case. There were some curious creatures that I call Brazilian chavs: they stand around with shirts off, huge gold chains and baseball hats and most notably, using a lot of steroids or human growth hormones.  That said, it was awesome to hang around with the group of about 15 of us and dance till the sun came up.     
The second day was when it all came into play, and it was the main day without rain. A few hours sleep only, we somehow chatted to the cabin next door and before you knew it, Barbra Streisand aka Duck Sauce, spoon and the pink glasses were out in force. Next we were down at the beach and my lack of boardies meant that I had to duck off to buy some Brazilian style bathers (small and figure hugging)! This meant my serious white luminescence did stand out in a beach filled with beautiful tanned peeps. By the end of the day our extensive appreciation of the finer part of beer meant that dinner was an unusual affair in a car park sushi diner. Yes, this fine piece of turf delivered some pretty decent sushi!
Day three, New Years Eve, brought an interesting lesson in salesmanship. We kicked off with a disco session by the pool in the place we were staying before T-Cal, Andre and I went on a mission to get some cash to pay for the place.  This 4 hour event saw us witness possibly the fastest meet and greet manoveure seen in daylight by Andre. Having 2 very chatty sales peeps meant that we met the whole range of people in town before booking a new club on the beach for New Years. Back at the pad, we got ready for NYE, having a great dinner and heading down to the beach just in time for the fireworks and a fascinating switch strategy from the boys. We started off the 200 dollar all you can drink night having drinks with the owner, Marco, a friendly guy who took too many steroids, had Peter Pan written all over him, no education and clearly knew how to throw a good party.  I spent a few hours down at the beach watching the sun come up and body surfing for New Years sunrise before partying with Guilherme for a while. 
The next day we just left off where we started and danced in our kitchen for a few hours. By now it was thumping rain, so we went from there to lunch with the extended group before I was absolutely shattered and had a long afternoon nap. The evening was at a Moroccan themed place, a great open air place where we had lots of room for some silly dancing.  After about 6 hours of dancing away, the queue to leave was taking ages, but it went right past the DJ booth. I think it would have to take the award for the hardest dancing queue out.
Day 5 saw a very long lunch turn into the evenings dancing. We found a great restaurant and had a lot of excellent Brazilian dishes and various versions of caiparinhas over a 7 hour period. The perfect way to spend a rainy day and yet another evening of dancing and spoon waving (spoon got a lot of attention this week). 
Our last day there we were having lunch at a corner bakery place, chatting to some people when I pulled off my first Dolphin trainer occupation move. This one I think will be more frequent in the future! The drive back turned a little hellish, and took over 6 hours when we thought it would be 3.  We went out to a Churrasqueria, a fine BBQ place. This place defies description, amazing service, a mobile caiparinha maker for a quick refill, the buffet was Devine and the constant flow of the most sumptuous meats served straight off the skewer that go done a some of the best I have ever had. Awesome way to finish off an amazing week.
Next stop Lima, I got bumped off the morning flight so had time to update this blog and get a nice vouch for use on future flights which is appreciated.             
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: