Akaroa and Christchurch again

Trip Start Aug 10, 2007
Trip End Dec 27, 2007

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of New Zealand  ,
Wednesday, September 26, 2007

We got back into Christchurch late on the 24th and spent the night near Akaroa, at a little town called "Little River".  We woke with the sounds of swans waddling off into the water (a Mommy, Daddy and 4 chicks).

We drove the 45 minutes to Akaroa and booked ourselves bright and early into a camp site overlooking the bay (at 10h30).  We made the most of the camp facilities and ensured we cleaned out our entire back packs, so fresh laundry for Auckland! 

We arbed around for the day, taking it easy as we wondered the streets of the small fishing village in the drizzle - the first bad weather of the trip.

Some info on the town: Akaroa, a quaint little fishing town situated on the southern side of Bank Peninsula has a distinct French flavour to it. Many street names are of French origin because of its history. French Whalers purchased the land off the Maoris in the 1838 because the harbours were a safe sanctuary from the ferocious Pacific Ocean.

Akaroa is quiet, relaxed and perfect for anyone wishing to unwind from a hectic day in the city. For a little more adventure, try the Akaroa harbour Cruises which take you to see a Seal colony along with the opportunity to swim with Hectors dolphins. 

We do think these dolphins are ghosts as we certainly did not see them, although we did have the "boy who cried dolphin" with us, who kept seeing them.  I, of course, was the boy, much to Julie´s annoyance, and kept saying "there´s a dolphin ........ not!"  After a few hours of this I stopped as I realised I was taking my life into my hands, judging by the look in Julie´s eye´s.

All to soon we were having our final meal in monster, and again we went for an Italian meal in honour of the  Zanoncelli boys (ok, the real reason was that we had spaghetti that had to be finished), of Bolognaise.

We took the monster back to Christchurch for one last time on the 26th.  We headed into the city centre and had a latte and a chai tea and then we dropped off the monster and said a tearful goodbye to the beast.  The monster was our home for 12 days and we had grown attached to it´s smelly gas breath, it´s spitting waste tank and warm (not) interior.  Jokes aside, it was a brilliant experience and a life long dream come true to travel as adventurers through the New Zealand wilderness, stopping wherever and whenever we pleased, and also doing a bit of glacier walking and swimming with dolphins. 

We leave New Zealand with fantastic memories of a country that is friendly and  beautifully rugged, we would come back here anytime!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: