A Day at Lords

Trip Start Jul 02, 2012
Trip End Oct 04, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United Kingdom  , England,
Monday, August 20, 2012

This morning we had planned to visit a couple of museums but as luck would have it, tickets were announced as available for the final day of the 3rd SA vs England test for only 20 pounds.
Off we went, joining the throngs of people heading to the hallowed ground.  What an experience!

England came out to play and so the crowd really got in to it which was great fun.  We had great seats between the wickets and settled in for a great day's cricket.
About an hour into the game, Matt called to say he was on his way with tickets to his corporate box, so we left the 20 pound seats and went over to the other side of the ground to hob nob it with the corporates.  It was fantastic!  We were looking right over the pitch and were in prime seats to watch the drama of the day unfold.
England were written off at 16/2 overnight, needing 332 to win on the last day.  They came out and lost another couple of early wickets but the middle and lower order became the heroes as they all stood up and scored more than 200 for the 5-8th wickets.   Matt Prior was a crowd favourite with his knock of 73, the most exciting part being when he skied a catch off Morkel and walked off dejectedly, only to have the replay reveal that Morkel had overstepped the crease and as the crowd erupted, Prior was recalled to the jubilation of all concerned.
Sadly, the miracle recovery was not to be and England fell short by 51 runs to a superior South African side who now take the no. 1 test playing nation mantel.  

We had a fantastic time, we kept pinching ourselves that it was all real and Lords was everything we had imagined and more...the members stand full of serious, very well dressed purists (who of course did not join in on the Mexican waves!) while the Nursery end got noisier and rowdier as the afternoon wore on and gave the SA bowlers an increasingly hard time! 

 After the match finished, we walked down to Edgeware Station to catch the tube home and it was very interesting, being a very popular Middle Eastern area...there were very few women like me in shorts and with no head covering!  
The tube ride during peak hour was very crowded...we laughed at one stop where an announcement was made to "move in to the carriage, snuggle in to each other and make new friends".
When Matt got home from work we went down to a local restaurant and had a lovely meal and lots of laughs.
It was a really great day and one we will remember for a long time.

Post your own travel photos for friends and family More Pictures

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: