Trip Start Aug 25, 2008
Trip End Sep 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of United States  , Indiana
Saturday, September 13, 2008

Today starts out sunny, but I've learned not to trust the weather around here.  As it turns out the sun sticks around for the entire day.  Larry and I watch most of practice and qualifying from one of the fences in the infield.  I did get reserved seats and am happy with their location.  There's a large video monitor right across from us so we can easily see the action on the rest of the track when the bikes are out of our direct view.  We're right in front of turn 1 with a good view of the infield turns 2, 3 and 4.  Turn 1 is a very gradual 140 mph sweeping left-hand turn that takes the riders off the oval and into the infield.  Turns 2 and 3 are slower 90 degree right-handers and turn 4 is a very slow left-hand hairpin that returns riders to the oval.  Turn 2 seems to be a problem for many of the smaller bikes who appear to be carrying too much speed through turn 1 to negotiate turn 2 and many of them low-side into the grass.
We watch much of the action from the infield fence.  Qualifying results in the usual jockeying for position but seems to end up with Rossi on pole, Stoner second and Hayden third.  I'm happy to see Nicky on the front row and we're walking away from the fence when we discover that, at the last second, Lorenzo edged Hayden out of third.  So Nicky's going to start the race from the inside of the second row.  Qualifying times dropped from yesterday's 1:54's to the 1:40's.  That's a lot of time to drop, probably attributable to the combination of no rain today and greater familiarity with the track.
Larry plays tour guide to downtown Indianapolis for me and we wander around before getting dinner and returning home.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


graybeard on

Hi Kathy! I can imagine it took you awhile! I've written a lot. Yes, I could definitely feel my rear end after 700 miles, though that isn't the longest ride I've done. And it was definitely tired. A good night's sleep helped a lot, though. Actually what I meant when I called the couple from Paso Robles my neighbor was that they were camped right next to me. Though I suppose Paso Robles is more of a neighbor to Riverside than Indianapolis!


Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: