Tropical Queensland

Trip Start May 13, 2010
Trip End May 12, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
verandahs tropical apartments

Flag of Australia  , Queensland,
Monday, October 4, 2010

After getting our bag back we set off up the coast to Port Douglas. Some Scottish people we met way back in NZ said that they liked Port Douglas, so we decided to try it.
We found a great place to stay at Verandah's , the place was huge and very comfortable and right in the town, this was a bit of a shock after our basic accommodation in PNG.
port douglas is a really nice town very trendy and lots of nice shops for a Milo.
Next day 5/10 we took a drive up the coast further and visited Mossman Daintree and Cape Tribulation . Mossman was very Aboriginal, and there was an excellent gallery there where a deaf guy was sitting doing paintings, he was able to lip read us so we could talk to him. We would have loved to have bought several things in his shop, as he said the rain forest aboriginal work is not available in many places and in port Douglas their prices are very high. In the end we didn't buy anything from this guy.
After Mossman we set off to Daintree and then to Cape Tribulation, the beach at cape trib is amazing and it was quite empty, this is the last point on this road north where you can drive on tarmac, after cape trib it is dirt roads and a 4 wheel drive is recommended, particularly when it is raining. The drive up here was just the best, one minute you are driving through thick rainforest then you come out onto the most spectacular coastal scenery, and the Toyota Yaris just loved all the bends in the road.
Next day we booked a trip out to the barrier reef with a company called Quicksilver. They have huge boats and a pontoon moored over the outer reef Agincourt reef i think it was. This was a great trip and we had a couple of rides out round the reef in a semi submersible this gave us some excellent views of the fish and the huge corals on this reef, we even saw a few turtles. I did a bit of snorkeling as well which was good, but hard work as it was quite a long swim from the pontoon to get to a good area on the reef. On the way out the sea was quite rough and a few peopel were sick the staff on the boat were amazing and made certain that they were well looked after.
We then headed for the Cairns and the airport for our 12:15 flight to Melbourne, or so we thought. When we got to the airport there was an announcement that our flight was delayed to 03:15, so we found ourselves a nice comfy seat and settled down for a long wait. They did have wi-fi so I signed up for an hour and managed to upload quite a bit to the blog, almost got up to date
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: