Australia - Back to Sydney

Trip Start Dec 05, 2005
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of Australia  ,
Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Day 1

We left Phillip Island and drove up and around the South East coast towards Sydney. Andrew was due to start work in Liverpool (South West of Sydney) on the Tuesday so we needed to find a place to stay, at least for the short term while we got settled.

On the way around the coast we stopped at Yarram and Orbost; two small towns where we were able to take a break and have a bite to eat - there wasn't really much else to do there.

The day was spent driving and as the sun began to set, very early due to the miserable weather, we found a run down campsite amongst the mists and settled down for the night in what turned out to be the small village of Cann River.

Day 2

The ongoing poor weather didn't encourage us to get on the road early; we eventually left the campsite at around 11am and continued our journey towards Sydney.

Crossing into New South Wales we began looking for possible places to stay for the night, having opted to take our time getting to Liverpool as there wasn't much to do there apart from wait to start work!

We called in to various Big 4 campsites along the coast and finally decided to stay at Moruya Heads, a campsite near the beach (not that we would be visiting the beach in the pouring rain!), mainly because it had the best value and nicest looking cabins. As we arrived we spotted a number of kangaroos jumping around the campsite and tried to get them to pose for us (PIC).

As the night drew in we popped into town for some supplies and then settled down in the cabin. Andrew had gone out to Gizmo for something when he heard a noise behind him, turning round he was greeted by a 6ft kangaroo leaping away from him, it must have been pretty close to him so he was lucky he didn't get his ears boxed in - the big roos have even been known to hold people underwater in order to drown them...the cute little things that they are!!

The Australian version of Big Brother kept us entertained for a while before we made our way to bed.

Day 3

We left the campsite to the sound of a hundred Lorikeets as they chowed down on their daily feed from the owners (PIC) and then completed our journey to Liverpool. We found the factory where Andrew was to be working; set in the middle of a fairly ugly Industrial / Commercial area on the outskirts of the town. We drove around the area and found somewhere to stay that night and with little else to do we sat in the hotel room and watched TV and read magazines for the rest of the afternoon and evening.

Andrew arranged to have an interview the following day with the recruitment agency who would be dealing with his employment at 'Prysmian Cables & Systems', in order to iron out a few details for the job.

Days 4 - 5

The recruitment agency was based nearer to Sydney so we drove in and Andrew had his interview. After some too-ing and fro-ing, mainly on wage, a compromise was reached and the paperwork signed. It was also discussed that Liverpool wasn't really the best place to stay, for one day let alone for 3 months, so when Andrew mentioned that he had the option to work in the Dee Why factory the recuitment agency urged us to go there instead.

Dee Why is on the Northern Beaches of Sydney and is a far nicer place to work and live. With this news we left Liverpool and headed towards Manly. We had been there before for one day during our stay in Sydney over New Year. The weather had been dull and overcast and had not left a particularly good impression of Manly in our minds. We decided that we would take the agency's advice and give it a go.

Andrew had managed to get a few days accomodation paid for by Prysmian while we looked for an apartment so we checked into a Travelodge and began our search.

Over the next two days we looked at around 10 apartments and finally opted to rent one in the very centre of Manly, in a huge blue tower block which overlooks the beach.

While the paperwork was going through we rented a lovely apartment in Manly which we managed to get for a reduced price of $120 a night, it was normally $260 a night!(again paid by Prysmian - thanks guys!). It was a shame we couldn't have stayed there for the next three months but the weekly rent of around $1400 a week was slightly more than we could afford. The apartment we were about to rent was $310 a week.

The next chapter of our trip - the employment era - was about to begin; with Andrew starting work the following day and Verdi trying every recuitment agency in the Sydney area.
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: