Big Apple

Trip Start Apr 28, 2006
Trip End Aug 20, 2006

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , New York
Friday, May 12, 2006

What a great trip! I left Tuesday afternoon, drove halfway & slept, then arrived in NYC the next afternoon! I was quite tired, so I spent the evening lounging in the apartment and eating at Swaggot's (Indian cuisine). The taxi driver picked up that we were tourists (excluding one buddy, but she's poor with directions) and so our 5 minute ride turned into a 15 minute ride. He tripled his profit. Pfft.

My good buddies and I walked to a nearby apartment building and stood on the roof for a little while. From there we could see many stores, and other buildings such as the Empire State Building! Oh boy is that thing tall!!!

The next morning I went with my group of buddies to tour the city! We went to the Empire State building, and also the Ground Zero of the 9/11 attacks. We then went to Battery Park in Lower Manhattan to view the Statute of Liberty from VERY far away.

It was around lunchtime by then, so we stopped in Little Italy for some food. This was my favorite area by FAR. It was either the short Italian women with accents saying:

"What was that nice girl's name? Her name was Antoinette? We always called her Babe. I can't believe we called her Babe when her name was Antoinette. That's such a beautiful name!"
it was the restaurant hosts attempting to lure us into their restaurants with great compliments, warm smiles, and good looks.

Oh yes. Angelo's food/host looked tempting, but that food was just too expensive. We ended up eating at Sal Anthony's which was a wonderful choice! I ate some calimari, chicken in all sorts of sauces, and then some canoli.

We also spent some time in Chinatown. There were purse/sunglass vendors everywhere. Of course, they are breaking the law by selling fakes, so they would practically whisper in your ear as you pass by. I wanted to whisper "I've got something to sell YOU" and then hold up a badge. But I am only a pink bear.. I'm not a policewoman. Oh well.

The subway ride back was just like the ones before it.. sticky, smelly, and somewhat disturbing. At the same time the rides were efficient and exciting. Go figure.

The rest of the evening was spent in the apartment napping and eating Indian leftovers. My closest buddies and I did not sleep through the night, however. We spent the wee hours of the morning chatting about the good ole times, and the times to come. It was pleasant, and the time we spent catching up on our rest the next day was welcomed warmly.

You see, the next day was the 14 hour drive home. We slept through most of that, though. Phew!!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: