Leaving Dingle... Heading north

Trip Start Jul 02, 2011
Trip End Jul 12, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Twin Peaks B & B

Flag of Ireland  , County Clare,
Friday, July 8, 2011


Leaving Dingle. 

This morning we woke up early to partly sunny skies and chilly. The cows were up near the house mooing. I'm going to miss the view of the bay and hillside. I said earlier that there were 30 shades of green- I was wrong, there are 40 shades of green! 

 We had our usual hearty Irish breakfast before departing to travel up north to Doolin. Rio came into our room and lured Evan out back to play a game of catch. Evan and Rio had a great time. We thanked John and his staff for the wonderful accommodations, attention to detail, and the delicious food and beverage during our stay. John said some kind and wise words in return and told Evan that Rio is going to miss him.  John also was kind enough to give us two sets of directions for our trip: one if we were going to take the Ferry and one if we decided to take the motorway and small roads to Doolin (Doolin is not that big of a town). 

We packed up the car and headed towards our next adventure. As we pulled out the driveway I was a little sad because I new that this was a little slice of heaven that can never be duplicated. I truly enjoyed my time in Dingle. I think that Evan and Greg did as well. Before we left Dingle we stopped at the ATM for a few more Euros and stopped at one or two shops where we decided to purchase a couple more items before we headed out of town. 

I've gotta say, we have never heard any sirens since we've been in Ireland. We have seen maybe two Garda and an ambulance - that is it. 

Greg decided that we weren't going to take the Ferry as we just needed to get to where we were going.  We passed through lovely towns and countrysides along the way. Outside of Limerick there was an accident that had traffic backed up a bit (first time all trip). Then further down the road the Garda had a checkpoint. They stopped us and wrote down or car license plate #. I was a little nervous, since we were tourists. 

We arrived at the Cliffs of Moher. We hiked both of the observation trails. A constant wind blew along the cliffs, and got fairly strong at times. Along with a never-ending flow of international travelers viewing the cliffs; we heard many different languages, which is always interesting. The Cliffs are indescribable. They are massive, green, with sheer drop-offs.  Many species of birds flying around; but we left the binoculars in the car, so we really couldn't see what they were. We took lots of pictures, though.

After viewing the Cliffs and walking around, we drove a short distance to our B&B.. The Twin Peaks. It was small (only 4 rooms); but they were nicely decorated, clean, and comfortable. Pascal and staff answered any questions that we had. Pascal suggested that if the sea wasn't too rough to take the Cliffs of Moher cruise before dinner.  

So we unpacked and headed down towards the dock. Greg haggled with the two boat companies and got a decent price for the three of us to go on this cruise. As we were starting to board the boat, it started to rain! Evan of course was excited. However, this was larger than the boat we were on in Dingle, so it had an area that was covered (basically below deck). Our cruise was filled the Asian travelers, a couple of Irish families with their young children and a young German(?) family (I am not sure). The difference with this cruise, was that we were going to be on the open sea, so when we sat down, I asked Evan to go grab me a barf bag just in case. The Irish fellow sitting next to me jokingly said," Oh, this should be a fun ride! I replied, " I should be fine, this is just in case." Another Irish fellow joined the conversation and assured me that it would be fine. 

When we set sail, it was still raining. It wasn't a hard rain, but it was a steady rain. As we got a little ways out the boat started rocking and hitting the waves head on. It felt at times that we were on a roller-coaster or a very bad merry go round. As I looked around, people were starting to grab the barf bags. All three members of the German family started throwing up ( the little kid was first). Other people started throwing up. It turned into a real barf-o-rama! Seasickness knew no ethnic bounds. Soon all the barf bags were gone! I tried to look out the window so I wouldn't get sick. When we got close to the Cliffs I went outside, as it seemed to be a little calmer (not much though) and  the sun was out. The view was spectacular!  This cruise gave you a totally different perspective of the Cliffs.  They were massive! We saw puffins and a lot of other birds- there were thousands of them!!  When we arrived back to the dock, everyone was happy to be back on solid ground. ** on a side note not one of the Gluck's got sick.

We drove back to the B & B to park the car and then walked to the pub: Gus O'Connors. From what we read it is a pretty famous pub. The food was decent and reasonable. Greg and I had fish in chips with a pint of Guinness and Evan had steak, with a glass of 7-up. Traditional music started at 9:30pm. There were six musicians playing different instruments. This was the best traditional music we heard! Glad we stayed in this little town! 

Tomorrow we go exploring the Burren and head to Ennis for the night (our last night in Ireland).
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: