Rainy day in Dingle

Trip Start Jul 02, 2011
Trip End Jul 12, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of Ireland  , County Kerry,
Thursday, July 7, 2011


RAIN!!!! :). We woke up this morning and it pretty much rained the whole day; stopping for a little bit in the evening. (Greg actually went all day without wearing sunglasses.)

We started our day off with a hearty breakfast. (Again?) I like the Pax House as it gives you a wide variety of food options - not just a traditional Irish breakfast with a choice of yogurt.  Greg had the pancakes with strawberries, bananas and blueberries.  Evan had a full Irish breakfast and I had the smoked salmon with scrambled eggs. Evan has had a really good appetite. He has been eating pretty much everything in sight! He ate 8 half slices of toast, 2 scones and fruit along with that full Irish breakfast.

With our stomach's full, we ventured outside in the rain . Our first stop was to see the An Diseart Institute of Irish Culture and Sprituality. It is comprised of a chapel, gardens, and a Last Supper Fresco. There is also an old convent where the first Ireland order of nuns lived. One is still living (age 70) and when she dies, that will be the end of that order of nuns. We also toured the church where 13 stained glass windows were commissioned by Harry Clarke ( a famous artist of the time). The stained glass windows were truly a piece art. Each one was so intricately made, giving attention to the smallest detail. It moved all of us.

We decided to take a cruise of Dingle Harbor to see Fungie the resident dolphin. At noon the rain was still coming down and the wind was blowing. Evan said that the rain here was different from Vegas. The rain back home is hard and fast. The rain in Dingle felt soft and it was steady. So we boarded the boat knowing full well we would be soaked by the time the cruise ended. However, if we didn't see Fungie, the cruise would be free. We'd be soaked and cold and it wouldn't cost a thing. (Instead, we were soaked & cold & it cost us €48!)

The cruise set off with families and a young elementary school group (one of those summer camp things). The water was a little rough, but wasn't too bad. It took awhile, but we finally saw Fungie! He made our boat follow him a little around the bay and then finally swam and leaped by the boat for awhile. We got a few good pictures and a little video. On a side note, those young kids were very well behaved. :)

We were soaked and chilled to the bone! My hands were so cold I couldn't move my fingers! Evan and Greg were the same. The rain was still coming down in sheets, but we weren't complaining as we were experiencing the true Ireland. We ducked into the Chowder House for some hot soup and tea/coffee. The boys had seafood chowder and I had tomato basil. Both soups were served with brown Irish soda bread. Yum! While the were getting our order prepared, I ran to the restroom to run my hands under warm water to get them moving. It helped, I could finally move my fingers. The soups were delicious! Both the soup and the tea/coffee helped us warm up. For dessert Evan and I split  a sticky toffee bread pudding with custard. It was warm and delicious! I don't even want to know how many calories that was!

After lunch we shopped in the quaint Dingle stores. Of course, it was still raining. Afterwards, we headed back to the Pax House to get warm and rest a couple of hours before we headed to dinner at the Chart House

We sat in the lounge watching the rain come down. (The entire back of the house is windows so we had beautiful views of the bay). We read, played checkers, and conversed with the other guests. John's staff made sure we had coffee, tea and biscuits. It was a very relaxing afternoon! Something that I don't know how to do sometimes. 

It started raining again when we arrived for dinner at the Chart House. The Chart House had a very warming and comfortable atmosphere. The food was excellent. Evan had Kerry roast beef with carrots, broccoli, and potatoes. I had Kerry beef and vegetable pie, and Greg had organic chicken with mashers, carrots and broccoli. For dessert was lemon tart with berries and baileys bread pudding with ice cream. Yummo!

We then headed to a different pub to hear some more traditional music. We stopped at O'Sullivan's. It was a very small pub with very low ceilings. Evan hit his head on the ceiling once or twice. The pub got very, very crowded. The music was wonderful! We even caught Evan tapping his foot a time or two. It was two of the same guys we saw the night before at the folk concert @ St. James. They were very good! Greg and I both had a pint and Evan had a couple of coca-colas.  We only stayed a hour and a half because we were all so tired. When we left the pub it was still light out @ 10:45 pm. It doesn't get dark until 11 pm. 

When we returned Evan went to our room to go to sleep and we headed to the living area to talk to some folks who arrived earlier in the afternoon that we spoke with from Ohio (Ann and Jim) before retiring ourselves. 

Tomorrow, heading to The Burren area - Doolin, Cliffs of Moher, etc.,. Going to be a sad day - we are leaving Dingle, which means only two more days of vacation left in Ireland. 
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Mary on

wow your trip is going fast!! Hope u continue to have a great time...

Sarah Gluck on

This sounds like it would have been my favorite day of the trip!

vicki on

My computer was out for a while. missed this one. The blogs are great I feel like I am there with you.

vicki on

I would't want to come back after seeing the pictures.

vicki on

That was worth getting wet for. Great pictures.

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: