Playa Grande, Costa Rica

Trip Start Oct 06, 2006
Trip End Sep 14, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Costa Rica  ,
Friday, December 14, 2007

Nicoya Peninsula
Alina, Gene and I headed to the Pacific Coast on the Nicoya Peninsula, Costa Rica after a few days at Lake Arenal. In Playa Grande I had the first time the opportunity to ride real waves on a surfboard, thanks Gene! It was a good experience but the truth is, I will stick to kiting. Kiteboarding is immediate gratification - you get in the water for 3 hours and you kite for 3 hours - with surfing you need lots more patience and might catch a wave or not - it can be fun and for sure it is challenging, but I leave it to the surfers to battle out who gets the wave and who not while I fly over them with my kite. J
Costa Rica has beautiful and famous beaches along the Nicoya Peninsula and we traveled from Playa Grande all the way down to Samara through dirt roads and rivers. Without a 4 wheel drive vehicle we would not have made it and at some point we thought we'd have to spend the night in a riverbed, stuck in our Jeep Cherokee. When we finally got to the beach town Samara it was easy to spend a couple of nights relaxing in a beautiful place called Barracuda, an ex-nightclub with pool and an incredible panoramic view of the town of Samara and the beach. The club had burnt down many years ago and is now owned by a Czech lady who rents out apartments for a fair price. An incredible place and very relaxing, well worth a visit, especially if you have never heard howler monkeys and other animals in close proximity each morning and evening.
Finally in Samara I split from my friends and headed back to Bahia Salinas where I spent another month kiteboarding, instructing, and making new friends from around the world. Having a nice place to live and not having to pack my backpack and kiteboarding bag every couple of days, in other words, having a bit of a routine, a good bed, cook my own food and eating healthy, exercising daily, feeling a bit of stability again as well as responsibility teaching made me stay in Costa Rica for about two months in total. I was waiting there for Mariela to come down from Guatemala but for some reason it didn't happen. I really enjoyed the freedom of staying as long as I wanted but finally around the middle of January I scheduled a flight to fly to Miami, Florida where I would meet up with Mariela again.
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: