P-town to Buzzard's Bay

Trip Start Jun 22, 2007
Trip End Sep 25, 2007

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , Massachusetts
Sunday, September 2, 2007

Yesterday we took the dollar bus out to the beach as there is a national sea shore here.  We were told by a ranger on the bus that the view from the tower was terrific.  So we ride the bus out 15 minutes from p-town and hoof of the stairs.  The reward was amazing.  We could easily see over 10 miles and the view of the sea and the amazing dunes was just that....amazing.  I can say this was the most impressive sea shore views I have ever seen in any of world travels.   We can see the blue coast, but we can also see sand dunes some as high as 5 story buildings with all sorts of green sea grass.  Since it is a national sea shore, there is no development and even any sign of human touch except for a few signs of old lifesaving houses on the beach.  I cant seem to find the right words, but this is a beautiful place.  This is the kind of place where you thank God for national parks as without them , it would be full of condos.

That evening, decide to "stay up late" and go to a lounge show at 9:30.   So we went back to the boat in the late afternoon and came out again at 7:30.  P-town has a lot of shows and entertainment.  Some range from standard lounge acts to raunchy comedy.  We opted for the lounge and decided to see a girl singer who was very good.  We did find that as the evening went on, we saw more 'interesting' people.  It was a great time. 

I had tipped the launch captain to make sure he would not start his last run before we were on the boat.  So at 1030, we are heading back to the pier to jump on the 25' launch that would take us out to First Forty.  We made it on time and were back on vessel by 1045....this is pretty late for us...a good time was had.

The next day, the weather deteriorated and fog rolled in.  I wanted to rent bikes and spend more time exploring this amazing sea shore.  So we went back in the afternoon but found the fog and cold overwhelming.  It was much like when we lived in San Francisco where the fog would roll like a blanket....the wind howled and we were in heavy coats.  We actually tried walking on the beach, but the sand was so soft I was winded in a quarter mile.  We walked up to the last remaining lifesaving station and saw the small museum.  We had seen a similar place in Virginia beach last year.  These were where teams of brave men would attempt to rescue people whose ship had gone aground off the coast before advanced navigation aids were in place.  They would use things like shooting a canon-powered projectile at the ship which would carry a 1" line out to the ship.  They would then use pulleys to get people off the ship and on shore.  Luckily, we have much better nav aids today and such wrecks are rare.

We had planned on going to another nice dinner out, but after we got back on the boat we were so cold we decided to stay in and have dinner on-vessel.  As we sat on the boat, the wind roared and the fog rolled.  I guess visibility was 1000' and I was glad to be on a good mooring.

The next day we rose to clear skies, cool temps and lots of wind.  It was the passing of a cold front which seems to happen here in New England every 3-4 days.  We had pretty well decided to leave p-town today as we had been told the mooring was promised to others the next day.  We walked into town...hit a farmers market and made one more walk thought town.  It was now Labor day weekend and the place is packed.  Commercial Street is the main drag (no pun intended) and it is packed with walkers, bikers and too many divers.  It really should be a ped zone but for some reason the allow cars.    By the time it was time to go, both Sue and I had seen and had enough.  There was time for one more thing....a p-town foot long hot dog.  Without a doubt this was the best hot dog I have ever had.  As Sue said, this place should know about long wieners. 

We cast off the mooring by 1330 and headed southwest toward the Cape Cod canal about 20 miles away.  Based on the late wind, I had expected rough seas but it was not bad a all.  We hit the canal at high tide and found ourselves making as high as 11kts through the 500 foot wide river of water.  At that speed, we have to work hard to maintain control and much more would present the risk of a dangerous broach but we made it with only a little extra effort.   I try to develop contingency plans for all such things and hoped I would not find a tanker going in the opposite direction every time I came to a bend.  As it happened, we saw no other shipping.

By 7pm we had dropped the hook in Buzzards bay in an open space.  Space was a good idea as after 3 days in p-town I was ready for space. 

Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: