Cambridge, MD

Trip Start Jun 22, 2007
Trip End Sep 25, 2007

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , Maryland
Sunday, July 8, 2007

The past two days have been quite nice.  Saturday morning, we left Annapolis for one of our favorite Chesapeake cities: Oxford MD.  Its a quaint small place with tree lined streets with a little harbor with marinas on one side and a few mega homes on the other.  Its not as busy as St Michaels, but just as charming. 

We arrived in Oxford mid afternoon and its has hot as Georgia asphalt in July.  By the time we got the anchor down, Sue and I decide that a day at anchor was in order so we took it easy.  Later we cooked a great meal with the stuffed chicken we got at the Amish market in Annapolis.  I didn't write about this, but we we able to find this amazing Amish food market.  Seeing the man with the pointy white beard running a steam powered ice cream churn was an experience.   It was the "PA Dutch Fair" and they had a pig roast too.  Now, I love pulled pork but the amount of meat they put on the sandwich was nothing short a pound.  Lunch was dinner that day.   The market was packed too and most everthing was hand made in the tradtional way.  So we came 'home' with lots of great foods.

This morning, it was the usual nice and cool.  Thankfully the summer's heat has not turned the nights hot ... yet.  We want to make sure we get north before that happens.  So we cruise the easy 9 miles to Cambridge MD.  While it is also a quaint place, it has not proved as popular as its cousins Oxford and St Michaels.  We easily docked at the repair facility that will repair the autohelm tomorrow.  This was really a deal closer as not only had they made themselves available to help us with the autohelm, but when he said 'free dockage' I knew we had a great deal. 

Its a nice dock and we took the opportunity to wash and clean the boat.  A top priority was  washing of the dink we call 'Second Forty'.  It's our 9 foot inflatable that rides on top the boat and is used as our 'beach bus'.  It had been the victim of accurate aerial (heavy) bombing from a number of sea gulls.   One load was so large, I heard it hit the dink from inside the boat and had to go out to see if there was damage!  Words can not describe the scene.  This made me a believer in wearing a hat anytime we are near the water.  I had to keep saying to myself that this is just "processed food" when I cleaned it today.  Yuck!

So with boat clean and spotless we are beginning to feel like we are getting our act together.  Its hard to believe that it has been two and a half weeks since we flew into Norfolk, but it has.  With luck, tomorrow we will complete all our work to be ready for the trip north.  We have been doing research on various approaches to getting to Block Island.  We had once thought about the 30+ hour overnight trip to Block Island from south Jersey, but have now dismissed it.  I want to run the boat hard for 10 days as a final shake down before I attempt such a passage.  But this decision trades the overnight for other challenges.  The inlets on the Atlantic side of Long Island are not always safe to enter and we have scant experience in such conditions.  Well, you have to learn somehow.  No guts no glory.
Report as Spam


cwstev on

On toward Block
Hi Guys,

We continue to enjoy the adventures of First Forty and crew. It all sounds familiar, breakdowns, wrong parts arriving, unconscionable prices, and 'self help'.

Good call on the passage south of Long Island. Have done it a few times but always hold our breath. Besides which, there are so many neat stops along the Sound (have a look at Hamburg Cove). Have a couple cold ones for us in Great Salt Pond.

'May the wind be at your back....'

Chuck and Nancy

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: