Trip Start Jun 01, 2011
Trip End May 05, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Inka Roots hostal
What I did
mosied around

Flag of Peru  ,
Friday, October 21, 2011

Friday I went around to a few places taking some pictures for work and then headed to our weekly social at the ChocoMuseo in Cusco. At 5:30 we all left and I went to wait for Ronald to get to Cusco. 

He took Sao to the vet and dropped him off and then we had pizza before heading to the bus terminal. Tati's friend had bought our tickets for us so we had to wait for her to get on the bus. She had told me that I needed to go at 9 (the bus was leaving at 9:30) so I could give the lady our information because they compare that with your ID before boarding the bus. We also had to pay the tame, the terminal fee, before boarding. 

Tati showed up late, 10 minutes before the bus left. She got in line to pay the tame and we went to show our IDs to the worker. So glad Tati's friend had bought our tickets -- when Ronald asked the prices she told us 80 for the 2nd floor and 100 for the 1st but we only paid 50 for the 2nd floor because it was a Peruvian that bought the tickets. Hate the I-want-all-of-your-money attitude.

Anyways, once we got to Arequipa -- 7 am ish -- we split up from Tati and went to look for a place to stay. We found one for 50 soles about 2 blocks from the plaza with a private room and bathroom as well as a TV with tons of weird channels.

We went to go see Juanita first. Juanita is the mummy that was found at the top of a nearby mountain. She was a sacrifice for the Incan gods and is preserved in the museum today. She's shrunk over the last 500 years, though, and for preservation's sake the lights are very dim and it's hard to really see anything. 

You pay 15 soles each and you have to leave everything at their front desk. Then you go watch a 20-minute video explaining what happened and how they found her as well as what the possibilities are for why she was there and how it all happened.

Then our guide (you can't go to the museum alone, you have to take the tour) took us around to all the display cases and finally to the mummy.

Then we walked around exploring a bit but I wasn't feeling too good so we went back for a quick nap at the hostal before meeting up with Tati in the evening to go to the mall. She wanted to see a movie, but when we got there there wasn't anything on at the time and we wanted to be back at 7ish so I could go in the cathedral that's in the main plaza. 

So we ate in the food court and then bought some stuff at Casa & Ideas before heading back to town. Unfortunately, the church was closed due to a workers' strike. So we walked around some more and drank screwdrivers at the hostal before going to dinner at Chicha.

Chicha is one of the famous chef's, Gaston Acurio, restaurants. I have never had such delicious lomo saltado. It was delectable, but expensive. I would go again though!

After we went across the street to the Mono Blanco bar because we'd seen a flyer for a pub crawl. It didn't seem to be really happening, though, so we had a drink there and then just drank back at the hostal.

Sunday we woke up, Ronald took a shower, and we packed up. We checked out and then went to buy our bus tickets for the evening after a quick trip to the BCP ATM -- it's the only ATM that will let you take out more than a few hundred soles. 

We had asked Tati to do it since she's a local, but couldn't get in touch with her so just decided to go on our own. We ended up paying 50 soles I think for seats on the 1st floor, with a different company this time. Then we went back to the hostal, dropped off the tickets, I picked up my hat, and we headed to the food fair that was being held for a few days.

We took the bus (.80 soles) and paid the entrance fee (10 soles each) and then got food, food, food! It was a beautiful day, so I was completely content sitting in the grass under a tent watching the performers on stage and the kids playing in the opening. There we had pachamanca and rocoto relleno. 

The food in Arequipa was really great and the people were so friendly -- they seem to have a different attitude there, maybe because there are less tourists. I wish we were living there!

We caught our bus back that night and arrived in Cusco on Monday morning at 6 am. I went straight to Pavitos street to catch a combi back to Urubamba so I could be at work by 8. I got to my place at 7:30, took the fastest shower known to man, and met the car to go up to the office.

Monday night we had a Chilean couple come -- couchsurfers -- so in the evening we walked around a bit and ate at the Chinese restaurant before hitting the hay. They'd just come by bus from Lima, over 24 hours, so we were all pretty beat!

Post your own travel photos for friends and family More Pictures

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: