Trip Start Sep 22, 2010
Trip End Sep 27, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of Korea Rep.  , Jeju Island,
Thursday, September 23, 2010

Something I didn't mention about Wednesday was our dinner. We were at the jjimjilbang, with limited to no Korean, and ended up ordering hard-boiled eggs and Ronald got some ramen noodles that ended up being kinda spicy. They give you the eggs on a plastic tray with sections, one of which has very potent salt. I mean, it is crazy salty.

Anyways, we left at 10:30 and started walking towards Sunrise Peak (Seongsan Ilchulbong), a large crater off the east coast. We bought some stuff at the bakery (weird, gooey bread that was hard on the outside, and sweet garlic bread -- they don't ever have it salty, sadly) and kept on our way, stopping to apply the needed sunscreen. We got a call from the policeman. He and I had an interesting conversation about my wallet. He said 12 o'clock, 10 o'clock, bus, police station Seongsan (the city where our jjimjilbang was close to). I was slightly confused and after a while ended up saying 2 pm, police station. We hung up and just to make sure, I sent him a text message saying, "2 pm Seongsan police station...thanks!" to which he responded, *^^*. I thought that was pretty hysterical and so very Korean.

We kept on walking and ended up at the police station around 11:40. I soon discovered my wallet was coming on the bus that arrived there at 12:10, so I needed to wait or come back. Ronald and I decided to go ahead and climb Sunrise Peak and then come back. We got back to the station at five till one and they had my wallet! Yay! I bought them little bottles of orange juice as a thank you and they gave me some fruit (two apples and two pear-like fruits that are rather large) and then asked us to pose with them for some photos. During the photo shoot, someone touched my butt a few times and Ronald says it wasn't him, so thank you, Jeju policeman, for that.

Then we took a bus to Manjanggal Lavatube (this took 30 minutes) that dropped us off on the side of the highway where the intersecting road began. We started walking up the road and after a while decided to hitchhike and the second car I tried pulled over and took us up there, so that was nice. I was hungry, so we stopped at the restaurant and got mandu (dumplings, 5,000), kimbap (sushi roll with no fish, 2,500), and a hot dog (1,500). A bit expensive, but that's how it is in touristy spots so oh well.

We bought our tickets for the lavatube (2,000 each) and I think it took about 45 minutes to walk it. No one checked our tickets before going in. It's pretty neat and you can see the world's largest lava column at the end of the tunnel.

We left (taking a taxi down the road) and hopped on the bus bound for Seogwipo (3,000) in the south. We got on the bus at 16:55 and got there at 18:42. From there we took a 15 minute bus ride to Poonglim where there was supposedly a jjimjilbang. It ended up being a resort with the cheapest room at 200,000 won. The guy at the front desk called us a cab that would take us to a real jjimjilbang in Waterworld at the World Cup Stadium.

It was a standard 7,000 to get in, but the PC bang (room with computers) was locked, so Ronald had to walk outside in his jjimjilbang uniform to work (he has to be connected to the internet every night until 2 am). These uniforms are like thick scrubs, but shorts, not pants.

That was the end of that -- ate a dongass and mandu there before finding a spot to pass out in.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: