Chang Rai

Trip Start Mar 27, 2007
Trip End Mar 27, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Thailand  ,
Monday, August 27, 2007

On Monday the 27th of August I got up at 6am to get a taxi at 6:20am to the Dusit resort hotel to meet Martin, Micheal, Pascal and her husband. At that time in the morning there were a few monks roaming the streets. I have noticed in Thailand that allot of the monks are very young. Thai men are encouraged to become a monk once in there life,, even if it is for a couple of days. We got a shuttle bus straight to Bangkok airport to catch our flight to Chiang Rai at 11:35am. We each had a window seat, because there was not many people on the plane. As we flew over Bangkok you could see the smog in the air. We landed at 12:45pm, which only felt like 5 minutes to me. They got a taxi to there hotel and I got a taxi (no buses) to the Chat house guest house which had a room for me for only 80 bath.The room was small and the curtains had mildew on them but it was ok,, just about. :-) 
I sorted out my room and then went to find the bus station. On the way I passed by a Temple - Wat Phra Kaew. Which was struck by lightning (the chedi) in the mid 14th century to reveal an emerald Buddha hiding inside. I eventually found the bus terminal and found out the times to Chiang Kong, which were every hour. The bus terminal was also very near to where the night market will be later that night. I went back to my guest house to chill out. That evening I went to the night market to have something to eat. But on the way I bumped into Martin and the gang sitting outside a Dutch bar. It was a surprise since they were meant to be staying an hour away from Chiang Rai. But they told me that when they got to there hotel it was not what they expected and so checked out and checked into the Dusit hotel on the Dusit island in Chiang Rai,, I guess there were really having a Dusit experience. :-) I sat with them for a while but soon got hungry and so I left to go to the night market,, I agreed to meet Martin and Micheal later for a drink. The night market had a big square with lots of food stalls all around it and live Thai music as entrainment. After dinner I went back to the Chat house and slept for an hour. I met Martin and Micheal at 10pm. It was a quiet night in Chiang Rai. We went to the Regency bar, which was part of the Wangcome hotel. It was more of a boyz club than a bar if you know what I mean. We had one drink there and we went to there hotel to have another. Martin had tea and cake and Micheal and I had a beer. The Dusit hotel was very near to where I was staying, so it was only a short walk home for a change.

On Tuesday the 28th I spent the afternoon in the Internet cafe. I rang Ta (who is from Chiang Rai) and we arranged to meet at 9pm near the night market. I also rang Martin to see weather he had booked a tour to see the long neck tribal people, which he had. I would also like to go on this tour. Martin and the gang were also going to the night market to eat so I went to there hotel at 7:30pm to see if I could get on the tour but the tour desk was closed. I could have went to the hotel in the morning and arrange to go on the tour,, but later I decided not to go. We all got the shuttle bus to the night market. I had a delicious mango fruit shake and of course some Thai food. They were playing some Thai music, but this time it was screeching in our ears. I went to meet Ta at 9:15pm and brought him back to where we were sitting. Martin and the rest soon left because they were getting up early for there tour. Ta and I had one beer and then went to a night club (Par club). Before we went in, we seen a promotion that would get us both in with a bottle of whiskey very cheaply, but they still wanted to charge me admission, so we decided not to go with the promotion. In the club there was a mixture of Thai and English music being played, followed by some live Thai music, but most of it was mimed with a little show in the middle of it. There were allot of waiters running around wanting and waiting to sell you drink. They would also pour your drink if you were a bit slow yourself. There was no real dance floor, just chairs and tables everywhere. I talked to one of the waiters there. Nice man. I remember going to the bathroom at one stage and seen some of the men/boys putting make-up on. It was fun to see such a club.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html:

Table of Contents