Trip Start Aug 11, 2007
Trip End Jan 06, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Australia  ,
Monday, November 26, 2007

Monday, November 26th, 2007 (Written by Stephen)

On the road again and this time it is a leisurely pack up and we left Venus Bay at about 10am and head south east 60km to Elliston. The countryside did not change it is still quite sparse and you can see the effect the strong southerly winds have on the trees, as they all have a big lean on them to the north.
Had a quick look around Elliston when we arrived, no community library here so will have to wait to get updates of emails and travel blog at Port Lincoln. We decided on the caravan park out of town, near the jetty, as the one in town had no evidence of children staying there. We always try and find some playmates for the boys as they get a bit tired of their own company. Being near the jetty also brought the chance of snaring a big squid as it has a bit of a reputation.
Suz went to bakery and bought lunch and had a quick shop at the little local supermarket to top up on a few supplies. I sat down and set up all the rods, which always seem to take me twice as long as everyone else and then after some advice from Troy and Andrea (the park owners) Daniel and I set off to the jetty whilst Suz and Ryan headed off to catch up on our emails at the info centre.
We just about had to tie ourselves down onto the jetty as it was blowing an absolute gale. The fish were not co-operative at all and we struggled to lose a bait. To catch a squid we had to first catch some "Tommies" so we had a float rigged up and had maggots as bait. Tried our luck also with another rod rigged up to catch some whiting but couldn't lose a bait. We shifted to end of the jetty where we caught up with Andy (who I had fished with at Venus Bay) and he was as empty handed as us. There were however two guys fishing with floats and berley and they were catching tommies and garfish so I got the float rig back out and joined in instant success we started to catch plenty of tummies and the occasional garfish (all too small had to be released). I caught about 40 tommies, only kept 4 as bait for the squid jig, so a bit of fun on the fishing front at last.
Back in camp the boys had met Tim, the 6 year old son of the park owners, and had a good play with him after he had returned home from school. The boys and I had a quick game of rugby league and it was time for dinner. Chops, mash and steamed vegies were on the menu tonight and it was great to have a big feed of vegetables as we all had just about been "saladed" out.
I headed off after tea with Andy to try and capture one of these elusive huge squid that frequent the jetty. We tried everything but no luck, admittedly there were about 10 people out there and there was only one small squid caught between all of us. Eventually the chilling breeze and lack of any action drove us all back to our beds and we dreamt of hopefully better conditions tomorrow.
Weather:  Cool morning, blue skies but very windy 29 degrees overnight of 18
Camping: 2 nights at Elliston Caravan Park @ $35 = $70
Bait and Tackle: $20
Shopping: $30
Internet: $5
Lunch: $21

Tuesday, November 27th, 2007 (Written by Suzanne)


The wind blew all night and at a few stages I thought the trees might come down on top of the camper.
The wind died down early morning and Stephen headed off to the jetty at 8am to try his luck again. I will give him 10 points for persistence.
After my shower the boys and I cooked big pancakes as a treat for breakfast and smothered them in honey, jam and/or sugar.
Stephen arrived back with a big smile on his face as he had caught a large squid (large for Stephen but apparently small for Elliston). He headed down to the fish cleaning area and proceeded to turn it into calamari rings for dinner.
The boys played on the beautiful green grass with Tim's toys for hours which was lovely to see. They invented a few new games with the totem tennis which seemed to bring lots of laughter. Yesterday afternoon and this morning is the happiest they have been since leaving Port Augusta.
Off for more tourist sights around Elliston and everyone had told us about the Elliston Great Ocean Drive which is approximately 12kms along between Anxious and Waterloo Bay. Again we saw spectacular stretches of rugged cliffs, crystal clear water and some great surfing waves were you need to climb down the cliffs to access them. Around the cliff tops they have "Sculptures on the Cliffs" which is an event held bi-annually and we took a few photos of some of the remaining sculptures.
Next we headed up to Walker's Rock which was named after an early settler who lived nearby. This picturesque bay is perfect for swimming (if you have a 10 inch thick wetsuit), snorkeling, fishing and surfing. We walked along the beach up to the point of the next bay and the boys all jumped in for a swim. I braved the cold water and rolled up my long pants and had a paddle (after a few minutes I could no longer feel my toes). The water is so clear and the different colours of the blues make it a fantastic place for photo's.
It was now getting late in the afternoon and we need to head back to the caravan park so Stephen could drive 15kms south to Locks Well Beach which is a famous salmon surf fishing beach. You park in the car park and climb down the 283 wooden steps to the sand carrying all your gear, so you need to be keen to fish here.
(Insert by Stephen) I headed off with a great air of expectancy, as I had seen the salmon Troy had in his freezer, and hopefully the salmon would be there in the two hours that I had to fish. The Australian Salmon Fishing Tournament is held here every year and people come from far and wide to compete. Having arrived at Locks Well the steps did not seem all that daunting but people have been known to take their gear down and then climb back up to watch to see when a school of salmon arrives and then run back down to cast into them. Doing that a few times would certainly test your quad, thigh and calf muscles. Andy had already been there awhile but with no success so I cast in and my first bait was savaged but didn't feel anything, the second bait I got a good bite and reeled in a 30cm (1kg) salmon. That was my only catch as the little tommy rough were about and kept attacking the bait (good sign when they are about as the salmon like to eat them). I was the last person to leave the beach and having climbed back up, looking back it is indeed a beautiful bit of water. I certainly will get back one day to have a crack at the 4-6kg salmon that frequent these waters.
After Stephen arrived back he cooked a bbq for dinner of salmon, calamari rings, pork, sausages and salad.
Later Stephen headed back down to the jetty to watch Andy but poor Andy came back empty handed yet again.
Weather:  Cool morning, blue skies but windy 29 degrees overnight of 15
Bait: $10
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: