A completely different adventure

Trip Start Oct 16, 2012
Trip End Apr 20, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Peru  , Apurímac,
Saturday, February 9, 2013

We set off on our final leg to get to Cusco, which should take us a further five days, all going well.  As we left town we filled up with fuel, as we thought we may camp in the evening.  We also stopped in a couple of car part stores to see if they had a WD40 type of lubrication for my ever annoying pedal, which refuses to spin.  Of course, there was none to be found and I have to continue on with my creaky pedal until Cusco. 

As we left the town and started to make our way up the 1200m climb for the day, which would take us up to 4100m, the weather was fairly grey and damp, but not actually raining.  As the morning continued we journeyed along the Dorset coastline, passed Durdle Door,  Old Harry and Lulworth Cove.  Then experienced the north Devonshire coastline and onwards into Wales.  Anyone reading from England is wondering what on earth I am talking about as these are all places in the UK.  As we knew that we had some tough days ahead of us and were starting to lose some motivation, Kory and I decided to try a new tact for entertaining ourselves during the long climbs....audio books on our Ipods.  That is how I ended up plodding up the long, steep hill listening to Bill Bryson travelling around the UK whilst describing the scenery and distinct English-isms.  The idea worked well as we laughed our way up the long climb. 

The road was quiet and paved.  It climbed up through green farmland, with only the occasional small collection of a couple of houses.  We saw lots of snotty, red faced, pretty dirty looking children about and I stopped a couple of times to take photos, when they didn't run off the instant I stopped my bike.  We pedalled up and over the clouds and were grateful that it didn't rain to ruin the spectacular views back down the valley.  We had bought some supplies for lunch, as we knew there would be nothing along the way, so found a quiet spot off the road to enjoy our cheese and salad rolls. 

As the day wore on, we saw the village of Kishuara below us, which we had been told had a hostel there.  As we would have to descend into it, and then climb back up the next morning we decided that we would continue on and camp at the next available spot.  If we thought there was a small hope of a hot shower, a good meal and a comfortable bed we may have made the descent into the village, but from previous experience we know these things are highly unlikely in a one horse village like that.  So we filled up our water bladders from a nearby waterfall and strapped the extra 8 litres to each of our bikes. 

To my dismay the paved road disappeared and we were met with a dusty and rocky track instead.  We had hoped that there was a small chance that the paved road was going to continue all the way to Cusco now, but it wasn't to be.  We continued on along the ridge of the mountains for a further hour or so and then as the sun was setting found a place to camp.  We saw a small quarry area, which wasn't currently in use, had some flat ground and was hidden from the road - perfect for our simple needs for the night. 

As I set up the tent and Kory got the stove going for dinner and hot drinks it started to rain lightly.  Thankfully it didn't last all night and we were pleased that we had managed to escape it during the day.  We were both fairly exhausted but were looking forward to a long downhill the following day.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: