A Successful Travel Day

Trip Start Apr 06, 2017
Trip End Apr 24, 2017

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Hotel Charotte Plaza 26

Flag of Colombia  ,
Thursday, April 6, 2017

We began our trip with a Fred picking us up at our home. Usually it's Nancy, but Nancy is away visiting her daughter in Canada. We arrived in plenty of time and had time to relax a little before our flight.  We stopped at Wendy's and got some chili as our flight was over the lunch hour, and we would be starving by the time we arrived in Miami.

The airport was very busy.   On Monday evening, many flights were canceled through Atlanta which caused a backlog this morning. So needless to say, our flight was full, headed to Miami.  In Miami, we were able to find a lounge in our departure terminal. With our credit card, we have access to various airport lounges which gives us access to Wi-Fi with normally excellent connection, quality food, and a quieter environment for working. Scott needs this time to stay abreast with his work. Even though the lounge was packed, it was much quieter than the terminal with its continuous announcements and constant traffic of people.

After eating some delicious lunch of artichoke salad, beet salad, arugula and butternut squash salad, and a Caribbean garbanzo bean soup, I took advantage of the complimentary 15-minute chair massage they offered in the lounge. I told Mary, the masseuse, to be aggressive because I knew that that was how I would receive the most benefit from the massage. I didn't realize how tight and tense I was until she told me to relax. It was time well spent as she was able to loosen up my shoulders and back.

After my massage, I had a cappuccino and caught up on my emails. Then it was time to walk to our gate which was only about 5 minutes away.  We got on the plane and waited for everyone else to board. Soon a young man and his wife and their eight month old baby arrived to sit next to me.  They were from Colombia, but he spoke very good English.  I asked him where he learned his English, and he said, "Mickey Mouse."  When he was a child, he would watch hours of Disney shows in English with English closed caption.

I asked him about his work, and I was quite surprised to find out that he worked with plastic injection molding, which is the same profession that my father had.  His father started out with molding small toys to fill piņatas.  Then about 15 years ago, when this industry started to dry up, they invested in molding plastic plumbing parts—think PVC pipe and all the attaching elbows and flanges.  They then moved their business from Medellin to Bogota where there is a larger selling base.  He makes trips to the US occasionally to sell his parts.  One time, he even met with the top man at Lowe’s in Mooresville, NC.

Scott spent his time on the plane talking with a lady who works as a Clinical Medication Research Specialist with volunteer groups taking new drugs, many dealing with mental illness. They were engaged in conversation most of the trip.

I took advantage of the inflight movie screen that they provided at each seat.  I decided to watch Hacksaw Ridge, which tells the true story of Desmond Doss, a Seventh Day Adventist, who refused to carry a gun or kill people.  It was quite graphic, being a war movie, but it was inspiring to see his courage and conviction to maintain his beliefs.  It was an incredible struggle, but in the end, he was respected by everyone.

Just as our plane was scheduled to depart, the flight attendant told us that the pilot was not there—he was just arriving from an international flight and was in customs.  Then about 10 minutes later, they said that it was going to be illegal for that pilot to fly because they are only allowed so many hours to fly per day.  They had found a new pilot, but he was in Orlando, and it would be an hour before he could be in Miami.  They asked us to stay on the plane as we had more room and would be more comfortable on the plane as the waiting lounge was even more crowded.  The time passed quickly as I was watching a movie, but it would have seemed like an eternity if I was just sitting.

The pilot arrived about 1 hour and 40 minutes after our initially scheduled departure time.  We took off and had a relatively uneventful flight.  We had seats near the front of the plane, so we deplaned and  moved through customs with only a few minutes wait.  Our entire luggage arrived, too.  God is good!  We grabbed a taxi for the short 15 minute ride to the hotel.  We checked in and got the same room we had the last time we were at Hotel Charlotte Plaza 26.  It was 11 PM—midnight in Charlotte—so we unpacked a few things and went to bed.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Peter Eddington on

Safe travels! And all the best for the Holy Days!

Mary Carswell on

Safe travels! Have a wonderful Passover, N.T.B.O and DUB!

Bonnie Jacobsen on

Hi. Sent you a note yesterday but thought you may be off traveling again. Going to Daniel and Felicia's for dinner tonight. Spring is finally arriving. Time to plant flowers and garden.

Victor Kubik on

Glad to see you two on the road and Godspeed! Thanks for all your encouraging comments!


Ailsa Braun on

Glad you both got there safely. I always enjoy these accounts of your travels..

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: