Sad to say goodbye to Tremezzo and Lake Como

Trip Start Jun 24, 2011
Trip End Aug 25, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Italy  , Lombardy,
Sunday, July 3, 2011

Today was our last day in Tremezzo. We had an early breakfast (8:30 was early) and headed to the spa pool to take in the last few hours of the view.    I was already starting to anticipate Dean's departure back to Atlanta the next morning – and I was not looking forward to it.   

We checked out at noon, loaded our Fiesta that we hadn’t touched since we arrived after our 5.5 hour trip from Siena, and headed back south to Como town.  Our plan was to spend a few hours walking around town and having lunch.  After 30 minutes we were in Como and found a parking lot close to the city center.  The drive was much less stressful than the other day.  No trucks blocking the road, no backing up – just stopping a few times to let a few oncoming cars go by as the road became almost too narrow for two cars to pass.

We walked around Como and found a place to eat lunch. I think this was Dean’s tenth Caprese salad of the trip.  After he said, "I think I’m finally sick of Caprese salad. “ 

There’s a small town above Como called Brunate.  There’s a funicular that normally takes you to the top in 5 minutes, but it was under repair so there were operating buses.   We purchased two tickets and up we went.  The ride took us up a winding narrow road – several times the bus (smaller with 15 seats) had to back up to make it around the corners.  There were mirrors to see oncoming traffic…and the driver used his horn before blind corners to let any oncoming cars know we were there.  At one point a young couple in an oncoming car slammed the brakes as they started to pass us, realizing the road was too narrow.  The woman in the passenger seat looked quite upset and I thought she was starting to cry.  We parted ways with the car after a brief stop, ensuring we could pass without incident, and continued up the mountain.  Dean quickly put his seatbelt on. 

The view from Brunate was spectacular – you could see the lake to the north, and also look down on Como town and further south towards Milan.  We walked for 5 minutes, realizing we’d seen what we wanted to see, and not wanting to sit in the only open café (it was Sunday), we hopped back on the same bus that brought us and we barreled back down the mountain.

A little more walking through Como.  Dean found us the best gelato of the trip -- wild berries.  We both wanted more, but decided we didn’t need it.  

We hopped back on the road for a 45 minute drive to Milan’s Malpensa airport where we returned the car and checked in to the Sheraton hotel, located right in the terminal.   We had no idea where we were going but lucked out as the hotel and rental car return were right next to each other at Terminal 1.  

Dean’s flight to ATL was the next the morning at 11:05.  Knowing I had to shed some luggage weight (I brought too much for Intra-Europe checked bag limits – only 44 lbs vs. 50 lbs in the US).  I repacked and gave Dean all the Italy books and some clothes I really didn’t need.  I think his bag was 30 lbs heavier going home (he had 3 bottles of wine packed too).  

We worked out, and actually finally got tired of eating so we passed on dinner and ate some walnuts and almonds, and drank Coke Zero in our hotel room.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: