Whistler - Bear Count: 1

Trip Start Apr 05, 2008
Trip End Mar 20, 2009

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Canada  , British Columbia,
Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Arrived in Whistler after a 2hr drive from Vancouver.  Took the afternoon pretty easy in light of our upcoming ski lessons.  Checked out Whistler village and meet up with Kells, Jonno and Logan at the Fire Rock lounge for dinner.  Food was good but expensive.  Ski lessons the next day kicked off at 10am up on the beginners slopes.  No T Bars which was great, they had a magic carpet (travelator type thing) to get you up those steep slopes ;-)  Alanna was immediately teachers pet as she picked it up with ease and natural grace ;-).  GT was fine until after lunch where we tackled the more challenging slopes where he had a natural tendency to head for the trees.  Was a fantastic day and the muscles were weary afterwards.  GT woke up the next morning in pain and I was sick so took it easy although impressively GT made it down to the gym for a work out.  That night we hit the slopes again but on snowmobiles this time up Blackcomb Mountain for a fondue dinner with views over Whistler.  Luckily the weather improved in the evening after a grey day with constant flurries and it was crystal clear over the village.  GT was stoked to let loose on the snowmobiles and was allowed to do 'speed laps', however confidence waned after he almost flipped the snowmobile.  Dinner was made up of two fondues, cheese and meat, both were really tasty.  Funnily though the lighting was by candlelight and initially GT was dipping the chicken in the cheese thinking it was a type of herb bread ;-)  Next day we had bright blue skies and sunshine so we hit the slopes again this time heading up the mountain to the Roundhouse.  Kells came up with us with her snowboard and we skied down the Whiskey Jack trail.  GT's natural tendency to head for the trees did not change and he had Kells and I in hysterics watching him ski up a bank into the trees.  GT was knackered by the end of the run and retired for a hot shower while Kells and I did another run through the Enchanted Forest.  Not so enchanting, didn't think much of the moguls, didn't cover those in the lessons.  We all had a quiet night in playing cards and enjoying a well deserved creme brulee taster that Kells had spotted on the room service menu.  Checked out De La Sol who were playing as part of the Whistler Ski & Snowboard Festival, not as good as anticipated, lyrics such as 'pass the peas' didn't grab us.  Kells and I joined in the mechanical razor competition (video below).  Kells lasted an impressive 15 seconds and I managed to scrape into first with 18 seconds (longest was 1:52).  Had a superb time in Whistler and managed to survive with no broken bones, only sore muscles.  Left Whistler early Monday morning to get to Jasper National park as it was a 10 hour drive.  Highlight of the drive besides the stunning scenery was seeing a black grizzly bear!!! 
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: