N. Carolina is a long state and so is this entry

Trip Start May 29, 2009
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , North Carolina
Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Today is our last day in Asheville, North Carolina. We’ve
been here since Monday evening and will be leaving tomorrow morning. We started
out this way from the Outer Banks Sunday around 9am. We packed up the car and started traveling west. We knew we wanted to take 2 days to get here because it’s a 9 hour drive (North Carolina is a LONG state). We took an exit for a town called Hillsboro and ended up in the quaintest little town I’ve ever seen.
The main street had about 20 shops on it and the overall town couldn’t have
been more than 2 miles long. We saw a sign for “visitor information” so we
followed it and came across a small country cottage. It didn’t really look like
an information center but we went in anyway. Sure enough it was the town’s tourist’s center and the girl there gave us maps and history on the town. We even watched a 7-minute video on it. Apparently this town had great significance during the Revolutionary war and most everything in it had some historical importance to it. We decided that we needed to print our restaurant survey so we went to the library. Once we got
there we signed onto a computer and send the file to the printer to be printed.
We needed 100 copies so that would cost $10. The librarian said that the
machine took coins, ones and fives so Brandon got out two five-dollar bills and
tried to put them into the money machine. What happened next was so ridiculous
that you couldn’t have planned it. The machine rejected the first five dollar
bill so the librarian said that she would give us five ones and hoped that that
would solve the problem. Sure enough, the machine accepted all five singles. At
this point a man got in line behind us who only had to print like one thing. I
asked if he wanted to cut in front of us but he said it was ok. (I bet after
what happened he wished he would’ve). Anyway, the second five dollar bill would
not go in, so the librarian once again offered to change it into singles for
us. As she was doing this we realized that you only had a 45 second time limit
to add the total sum of money. So of course we ran out of time and all five
dollars dispensed back to us in quarters! After the librarian gave us the other
5 singles we tried to put them in but now the machine wouldn’t take them! So
eventually we gave up, printed one copy and photocopied the rest. We got hungry
so we headed down the street to where Brandon had earlier seen a grocery store.
As it turned out, it was a co-op! And it was called Weaver’s Market!
Coincidence, I think not! (For those of you who don’t know, we shop at a co-op
called Weavers back home). We went inside and got some fruits and veggies for
dinner. Braggs makes even the simplest meal delicious. We finished dinner while
Brandon sewed my backpack up for me. After dinner we went out surveying people
on the streets. We got a pretty good response and a helpful tip to check out a
town south of there called Carrboro. Once it started to get dark we needed to
look for a place to set up camp. We found a spot next to some tree behind some
historical house of some kind. We set up our bivi sacks and went to bed….or at
least we tried. The first night sleeping outside makes you a little paranoid.
Every noise is unknown and there are BUGS! We woke up around 5am and packed up
our gear and headed toward Carrboro to see what we might find. We found another
Weaver’s co-op and waited in the parking lot for them to open. We got all the
fixings for a green smoothie, set up our hand crank blender on a railing
outside the co-op and made our breakfast. As awesome as this blender is, I
don’t think it was intended to chop up leafy greens. So we had a very
nutritious but very chunly breakfast (I think we are going to stick to fruit
smoothies from now on). After breakfast we went to a local park and took a nap. We headed back to the co-op for lunch
and to do some more surveying. Not many people wanted to take our survey but I
still really like this town and think it has potential. By mid-afternoon I got
bored so I suggested we make a run toward Asheville. We got on Route 40 and
began again. On the way, we stopped at a rest stop to use the bathrooms. As we
were leaving, we were approached by a nice man and woman probably in their mid
60s. We got to talking about where we were coming from, where we were going and
what we were doing. This man was strikingly similar to my grandpa! Not only did
he slightly resemble him, he started giving us alternate directions and telling
us all about the different places we should check out on our way to Florida.
Nothing gives my grandpa more satisfaction than telling me how to get
somewhere. I believe that man was angel sent to us representing my grandpa. We
got in around 5pm and headed to the tourist center. We were recommended to a
vegan restaurant for dinner. It was called Rosetta’s and it was very good. Even
though we are on a tight budget, we figure IT”S ASHEVILLE, might as well live
it up while we are here. Brandon got a vegan Ruben and I got peanut butter
fried tofu with mashed potatoes and kale. Since it was already getting late, we
knew we better start looking for a place to camp. We realized that finding a
place to sleep outdoors in downtown Asheville would be difficult so we went
online to find some parks on the outskirts. We found a nice one with a pool,
bathrooms, picnic pavilions and grills. The nice thing about this park is that
they didn’t lock the main entrance up at night because it was actually a thru
street. So once everyone left, we set up under the pavilions and went to bed.
We got up around 5:30am, packed up and headed to the local food store in town
(which only sells organic products/food and is HUGE!) That’s reason enough to
move here. We bought some bananas and strawberries and made our smoothie. We
spent most of the day hanging outside the store making signs that we would need
for our street performance. Once we were done, we decided to check out a
geological museum downtown that had an amazing mineral exhibit. We left and got
dinner at Rosetta’s (again…hey it was really good!). At some point we were informed that there was a concert that
night and that it was PHISH! It was the right place at the right time. We drove
around town watching the madness of the tailgate. I’ve never seen so many
dreadlocks in my life. I was definitely in the majority. After a bit, we left
town and headed back to our original campsite. We grilled up some eggplant and
made sandwiches. Just as we were getting ready to get out our camping gear, we
heard thunder and decided that a thunderstorm was reason enough to sleep in the
car. We found a Wal-mart down the road and slept there. In the morning, we got
some blueberries and bananas for a smoothie. We had a bit of difficulty finding
something to clamp it onto, until Brandon saved the day by bringing over a
child’s cart. We made our breakfast and headed over to the grocery store (which
is where I am now because I pick up free Wi-Fi). After a bit, we parked the car
in a garage and began to get ready to do our street performing. Brandon is a
bird-man who stands incredibly still until you pay him. Once you do, he comes
to life, chirping, strutting and begin downright goofy. I was my clown
character Sweet Potato and I sold balloons and did some face painting. A little
boy wanted to be Spiderman but I wasn’t entirely sure what he looked like. I
think I did a good job anyway. We pulled in $16 in 2 hours between the two of
us and decided to treat ourselves to a special meal at the Laughing Seed Café.
It was delicious! This town sure makes some good grub! We plan on leaving
tomorrow morning for Georgia. Who knows what is ahead f us! Love, Katie and

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: