I found it !

Trip Start Jan 28, 2013
Trip End Mar 09, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of Malaysia  , Sarawak,
Saturday, February 23, 2013

Early this morning I walked down the waterfront to the last speedboat express, down Jalan Pulau past the Port Authority, turned east a few blocks, then followed Jalan Awang Ramli Amit past the mosque, past the prison, and several blocks later there it was!  Jalan Buloh, formerly known as Buloh Road.

Two blocks down on the right as Jalan Buloh ends... there was an empty, overgrown lot where my house had been.  Actually it really wasn't totally empty as I could see one section of the floor high above the ground mostly covered with vines.   So it couldn't have been torn down too many years ago.  Susan's house across the street was still there but looked deserted.  There were still several of the old Government houses closer to the main street but they were showing their age.     Sorry, Don, but the street that led to your house was gone... and there were newer houses in the distance where I think your house must have been.

Across the street from where Jalan Buloh joins the main road they are building a huge Islamic Center.  It looked like much of this area is a Malay community.  I passed many Malay pre-teenage girls walking to the mosque on my way back to town.

I walked back through the newer part of the city - big wide streets, taller buildings, even a huge car park.  As I got into the old part of the city I again missed a turn and walked blocks through the most used car shops I've ever seen in one place.   After turning and walking through a Chinese neighborhood, I finally found a cafe for laksa and Coke and directions to my hotel.

Brenda (went to the Sarawak Cultural Museum with her earlier this week) arrived in Sibu about 1:00 so we walked around town, then visited the Sibu Heritage Center where one of the museum guys showed me on a 1960 aerial photo where the Education Office I worked in had been located. We also visited the Latt King Howe Hospital Memorial Museum which had displays telling about medical procedures and the hospital from 1931 to just a few years ago.  The temple on the waterfront was bustling with activity, getting ready for tomorrow's celebration of the 15th day of Chinese New Year.  They were putting up fireworks everywhere to be set off at midnight Sunday to officially end the celebrations for this year.   After walking around town once again we headed back to the hotel.   Had plans to go to the Night Market but called it an early night instead.

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Peg Kowalski on

Boy, thats really cool to find the place you once stayed. I'll bet this whole trip has been filled with many memories. So glad you found several people to interact with. It makes the time spent a bit more interesting.
The Sticky Rice family meets tonight at Silvias place near the library. A pot luck and I'm sure stories of everyones jet lag this week. I hardly noticed it arriving in Bangkok but back home on Wed. in Madison I took several hour long naps. Got your mail and we're expecting 3-5" of snow tomorrow. Enjoy yourself.

Don on

Thanks for looking for my old house. I guess I'm not surprised that it's gone, especially if the "upscale" house you were in has been removed! I don't think I appreciated how wealthy Malaysia and Sarawak have become that they can afford so much 21st century development. Trickle down from the timber exploitation perhaps.

What a great trip and thanks again for looking into my Sarawak "roots."

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: