Bangkok to Ko Tao

Trip Start Feb 21, 2007
Trip End May 19, 2007

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Thailand  ,
Tuesday, May 1, 2007

A very late overnight train from Bangkok got us to a very wet and windy Chumphon to catch our ferry to Tropical Paradise (otherwise known as wet, windy, thunderstormy paradise) on Tuseday 1st May. Unfortuntely due to the late train we missed our first boat and got carted off in the back of a very wet and windy pick up to the ferry office, where we sat around trying to dry off for about 4 hours.

When we finally got on the ferry we had 2 hours of hell on a very stormy sea. The whole time was spent trying not to vomit while all around us were losing their stomachs! Poor blokes working on the boat definitely earned there money that day!

We arrived in Koh Tao, green at the gills and with no balance left to speak of, but at least the rain had stopped (for now anyway!). In the back of another pick and off to our quiet bay. We got to our View Point resort via a concrete walkway over the sea and it was absolutely beautiful even with the grey threatening skies!

Our bungalow was right on the edge of a cliff looking over a bay. The bay was stunning and we hardly moved away from it. The food is so good that we didn't bother eating anywhere else, apart from the first night when we checked out a restaurant in town! We had to walk back through the sea up to our thighs, as beer goggles missed the path going high up on the left! We then didn't leave the bar in our restaurant for the next 24 hours!

Unfortunately It poured down for most of the three days we were there, with only a couple of ours sunshine but enough to burn our fellow travellers, Harry and Lara to a crisp whilst out fishing on a boat, the fools! At the same time we ventured out for a walk on the Wednesday and it was much harder work than we first thought! We had to walk up and down the headland just when the sun came out and it got really hot and humid. Stumbled across a huge lizard then a huge elephant, which was really cool, despite the fact it had a rope around it's neck and was a pet one used for trekking! Then it started pouring down and we got soaked! We had to take refuge in a restaurant and drink beer!

On the Friday we went snorkelling for the day, which was amazing! The first place we stopped was a bit scary as a thunderstorm had just broken out and the waves were really high, the rain was lashing down and there was thunder and lightening! We were supposed to be watching for shark but you could hardly see a thing! Dunc thinks he saw a fin, but I'm not convinced! Needless to say we didn't stay in the water long and quickly got out not entirely sure that snorkelling was such a good idea! Luckily the weather cleared a bit and we got to see loads of coral, fish, sea cucumbers etc. At one point we got surrounded by fish wanting us to feed them, little buggers nip too! Pretty amazing to see everything, unfortunately just as we got the hang of it we had to go back to the resort!

Saturday when we left was stunning. The sun came out and should us just how beautiful the place really is. We took the opportunity for an hour in the sun! Dunc's got a really nice tan now and I'm just a big mass of freckles!! My legs are still ghostly white!

The boat back was a great improvement and was so smooth that we all chilled out reading our books! We got back to Chumpon and were dumped at a pub to wait for the overnight train to Butterworth. Definitely worse places to be dumped!

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: