Trip Start Mar 21, 2007
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , Hawaii
Friday, September 21, 2007

We spent a lot of time wondering what to do and looking at internet because we didn't have guide book for Hawaii. Decided to go a private campsite about 20 miles west of where we were. It was on the same stretch of beach that they had filmed the first series of Lost on. Managed to hitch a lift (no buses to that part of the island) with Barbara, the house manager, cheers for that!

Set up our new tent for the first time to find out that it was crap , something that we knew as it only cost $60 dollars plus tax, but even I was quite surprised at how bad it was. Anyway improvised a bit of extra support for it and it seemed usable.

We went a walk along the beach to watch the sunset and see if we could recognise the place where they did the filming.

Loads of stray cats kicking about the campsite.

Next day got a hitch with the 3rd car from of a nice guy John Thomson who been kitesurrfing all morning and was on his way to work, definetly a bit more laid back here. He told us it is quite easy to hitch and a bit about some of the beaches. He dropped us at Lanakei beach which is known as turtle beach for obvious reasons. We went down and there was a giant turtle sitting in the sand with many swimming in the water about 10-20 metres out .

The one on the sand was surround by people taking photos so it didn't hang about long. We walked along the beach, still managing to see loads of turtles in the sea just offshore and with lots of very expensive beach houses on the other side. Then we managed to find the Lost beach which we knew was nearby, we weren't really expecting to see the set so that was a bonus . The scenery in Lost had been a major inspiration to come to Hawaii for us. The set had been fenced off and there was a security guard there so we took some photos and then had lunch. We then noticed that the security guard seemed to have gone so we went round the fence and got some more photos. Paula was overjoyed as you can see when she got to sit in Sawyers chair .

After that headed along the beach and watched the sunset and then went into Haleiwa to get some food. We then had to hitch back to the campsite which we weren't sure how hard that was going to be as it was now pitch dark. Again didn't have to wait long as a pick up pulled up with, none other than, John, the owner of the place we had stayed in previously. He gave us a lift to about 5 miles from where we were going, we then started walking just in case, but got a lift from a student after about 25 mins, just as well as the ice for the beers was beginning to melt.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: